Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
linuxy

Mandrake 10.1 run too slow

Hello everybody, my first post here.

History:

First and last time I dealth with linux, 1995. A friend helped me install a version of linux onto my 486 box. I remember it was and ordeal to install it and once we had it up and running I did not know what to do with it. So I reformated my computer and got rid of it. Back then there was no graphical interface and it was very hard to install it.

Now, the present.

I am giving linux a second chance. I am taking a windows XP class to help me with my level 1 support job that I just landed. The instructor is being brave enough to add some linux sections to every chapter to show us how similar graphical interfaces can be. My documents = my home directory, etc...

I decided to take my old computer out of the closet and make it a linux box so I can do my home work at home. It is a PC with a K6 AMD 500MHZ processor and 128mb of ram.

I was very amazed and impressed by how much linux have come along in terms of how easy it was to install it. I was able to install mandrake 10.1 with no trouble at all. Not only that, I was able to keep the original Win98 os on the first partition, I added Win XP Pro on the second partition and then I was able to add linux mandrake to the extend partition. When I was done with the installation, it all worked well. I have a dual boot, I can choose windows or linux. If I choose windows, then I can choose either 98 or XP. I am amazed.

Here is the problem:

Linux is basically non-functional on this machine, it appears as if the machine does not have enough resources to even run this thing. It takes for ever to load KDE graphical interface. I tried to load Openoffice and after 9min of loading I had to reset the machine. With regard to Windows XP, the machine doesn't fly, but at least I can use it.

now, I don't know anything about linux in terms of tweaking it. So what could I do to slim it down a bit so that it would be able to run better on this machine?

Second, once I get to the linux command prompt, I feel like if am standing in front of an endless sea and don't know where to turn or what to do.

Third, I want to be able to use the graphical interface so I can do the simple and short class projects. Basically just learning where everything is in the KDE as it compares to where everything is located in winXP.

Fourth, I wish I could set this box as a central machine where I can hook up my lazer printer, color printer, the wireless router, etc. This way my wife and I can connect to this machine from our labtops and print, access the internet, etc... Just to form a mini network.

I know this is very long, but I had to get it off my chest and looking forward to some of your responses.

thanks,

linuxy.

Mandriva 10.1 requires a Pentium class system andf at least 256 mb of ram. So, you don't meet the basic system requirements for Mandriva 10.1. You can easily add more memory to your system and this may help. You could also try enlarging your swap space.

OpenOfficer is also a memory intensive program and I am not surprised that you are having trouble with it. There are less memory intensive office packages out there, like Koffice.

Other flavors of linux are less memory intensive. You may want to look at Vector Linux, which can run easily on 64 mb of ram. See this link for an overview of system requirements for Vector.

In terms of making a "mini-network" this is quite possible.

Since you have a router, you don't need to connect through the old box to access the internet, rather you would connect through you router. This is the easiest method to use, unless you plan on making the old system a server.

If you don't need the latest and greatest (not always the case), Mandrake 9 may work much better on your system. It has less memory needs and should run better on your system.

Take a look at the DistroWatch site, which will give you a good idea of what flavors of Linux that are out there that may meet your needs.

Thank you for the help so far.

I now have an idea of what linux flavor and version I should be using for my limited resourced machine.

The next step is:

Where do I download those files from ?

I have heard linux is free, so if I want redhad 9 for exmaple, where do I get it from.

Once I download the image file .iso on to my windows xp machine, how do I verify the file and how do I burn it into a bootable CD-rom. My WinXP labtop does have a burner.

Thanks,

Linuxy

Try this link.

You can search google for links by searching for;

index redhat 9 iso

Check the download sppeds. If you have broadband, you may want to try a few mirrors until you find one that downloads the images at a reasonable speed.

For burning the iso images, see my article, located here.