Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
vachavc

HELP VERY MUCH NEEDED

Hi everyone

A few days ago I got this message from my 2-year old Toshiba Satellite Pro M10:

Checking file system on C:

The type of the file system is FAT32:

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended that you continue.

Windows will now check the disk.

Volume serial number is ****-****

Windows is verifying files and folders:

** percentage completed.

I got the same message many times again, and also another one indicating I should choose between starting the computer in the "Safe Mode" or "Last successful configuration", etc, and also another (all in DOS-like screen) "Disk problem. Press a key to restart".

Also, from the first time I saw those messages, a strange, "dirty" buzz comes out of the laptop, as if there was a problem with the fan or the hard disk. An antivirus was being run every morning so it's quite unlikely the cause is virus-related.

By the way, when those messages appeared, I could not get to Windows, not even DOS. It'd be only the messages and then re-start just to see them again.

Please let me know what could be wrong. If it were the hard disk's hardware, would you advise to go to any tech center or the oficial, authorized ones are mandatory in such cases. Very much appreciated.

All the best

When you say a buzzing sound comes from your laptop, is there a cdrom in the cdrom drive? If so, take it out. Does the buzzing sound happen again?

Other than that, it does sound like your hdd is going bad.

Perhaps getting a 3.5" IDE converter to regular 5.5" converter, and hooking up your laptop hdd to a desktop computer to retrieve any data you want to keep.

Dealing with laptops is a very difficult situation. IMHO, laptops should not be the primary machine to work with.