Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bluevobler

Help with dual boot

I have two identical Maxtor SATA HDs. I run Libranet 3.0 one one of them and XP on the other one. Both OSs run perfectly well but I have not been able to set my system up to dual boot and have to keep switching drives physically. I have tried to use Grub to dual boot and edited my boot/menu.list with XP on (hd1,0) but it would not work. Then I decided to check the integrity of the XP's BMR, which produced some interesting results. When I booted from CD, I could not even access the Recovery Console, and the message was "set-up can not find any drives on your system".

Any help will be greatly appreciated since my is beginning to hurt from all that diving under my desk in order to switch drives.

Richard

Your post got me thinking about this, as I am just waiting for a new second sata drive for my system.

You need to remember that physically switching drives changes their designations.

You need to have the XP drive set up as it was originally for XP to work. The boot.ini file has code that points to the drive where it was when XP was originally installed.

The same thing with Grub. Libranet looks for the drive where it was originally installed and it's designation in the /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/menu.lst files.

Physically switching the drives confuses the boot files, as they look for things where they were when that OS was originally installed.

Can you post the contents of Libranet's menu.lst and device.map files?

Actually someone else posted a solution in another thread that should work. But, I would like to see how your system was originally set up when you installed Libranet.

You had XP installed before you did Libranet installation, right?

What motherboard is this? Does it support both IDE and sata drives?

The XP recovery console probably does not load sata drivers before starting, which is why you get the no drives found message.