Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tony1c

How do you recover from "blindness."

A problem I have frequently at home while playing games is that the screen will become garbled and unusable while everything else works. I assume this is becouse the DX7 video driver has failed somewhere.

Problem is I want to shutdown normally, but since I can't see the screen I have to go for the reset.

On my Solaris box I'd just log in from another box (not that this would happen to begin with) and do a shutdown.

Any advice for doing this on NT?

How 'bout a hotkey combo (CTRL-ALT-DELETE-INSERT-END-PRINTSCREEN) that invokes a shutdown script?

Tony

Actually, there is a telnet server bundled with Win2K. Enable it in the "services" applet. You can log in via Telnet and restart the system.

CNTRL+ALT+DEL, S, and RETURN would also work, assuming of course your last option in the shut down menu was, "shut down" (not log off, etc). If you aren't sure "shut down" was selected, then hit CNTRL+ALT+DEL, S, and then the up arrow a few times, the down arrow once, and then RETURN (Shut down is the second choice in the list, after log off).

[This message has been edited by DrSchmoe (edited 28 February 2000).]

The problem you describe sounds more like an issue with an overheated video card than the drivers. You have want to reduce any overclocking you've done, or invest in some additional cooling...

Anyway, the Win32 API provides a function to perform remote shutdown and/or reboot. It's well documented in MSDN, and there are several free- and share-ware tools that make use of it.

In addition, there is a tool at www.remotelyanywhere.com that allows remote system admin from a java-enabled browser.

I've got that same problem, my screen goes all garbled up and i can't see whats going on. This only happens to me occasionally when i start a real audio file or when i put it into full screen mode! i don't think its my voodoo3 overheating becuase its in the desktop and not doing much, aslo i can play games fine. i don't think its the drivers either becuase this has happened on the first offical drivers and the latest retail drivers. so ,aprt from doing the ctrl+alt+del+s thing is there anyway to stop this occuring in the first place??