Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
horna

Connect3D Ati Radeon x850 Pro 256mt startup problem

i just bought a x850 pro agp last week and I am having the exact same problem. I'm upgrading from a Geforce FX5200 128mb agp card. when i boot up with the x850 i get the three beeps and a blank screen. some other websites say that the 3 beeps mean a video card error.

ATI's tech support (online tickets) was useless, they said to try it in another computer and return it if it doesnt work. I tried calling the tech support phone number and got a busy signal, not even a voice message system came up. thats some shitty service.

This cant be a driver issue since the computer never gets to windows. It has to be some kind of hardware compatibility, but i cant figure it out. I dont want to pay to ship it back and find out the card wasnt the problem.

I hope somebody figures this out.

thanks for the reply. I do have the latest bios update, that was one of the first things i did. I also tried it in another computer and the same problem occurred. This was a brand new card from straight from ATI, i wonder how many defective cards they ship out. I'll prolly end up shipping it back, just gotta wait for tech support to respond.

Well, at least you know it is the Card. When I was mucking around looking at the specs of your machine, I found it interesting that the Soyo 865PE chipset did not have compatibility problems with ATI cards but the 875 did. Isn't that a slap in the face?

are you sure you aren't trying to plug an 8X agp card into an AGP 2.0 slot?? an 8X card will fit into the old AGP 2.0 slot but it won't work because 2.0 runs at 1.5 volts, not the .8 volts AGP 3.0 does which the x850 needs.

Originally posted by eric_fleming_74:

Quote:
are you sure you aren't trying to plug an 8X agp card into an AGP 2.0 slot?? an 8X card will fit into the old AGP 2.0 slot but it won't work because 2.0 runs at 1.5 volts, not the .8 volts AGP 3.0 does which the x850 needs.

That mobo is AGP 3.0. BTW, the X850 also supports 1.5V, AGP is backwards compatible, to a point, that card won't work in a 2X slot(3.3V). smile

How did you uninstall the drivers? Via Device Manager, Add/Remove Programs or manually?

The correct way is via ADd/Remove Programs and uninstall 'ATI Display Drivers' from the program list.

If the computer does not boot up it is not a driver issue, its a problem with the hardware. my mother does support 8X agp as my geforce fx5200 is currently running at 8X. my friend works at ATI, he got me the card at half price smile. hes gonna talk to them and see if they know anything about the issue. Tech support says its prolly a hardware issue and i should exchange it for a new one. I havent seen anyone else respond with the status of their problem or how to fix it. I guess i gotta dish out more cash to ship it back and find out if it was actually the video card or compatibility problems. Either way i'll let you all know what happens but i prolly wont get the new card till next week.

hey again everyone.

I've had some people look into the problem with the black screen issue on my system and it turns out it is just a compatibility issue. So as far as this whole thing goes for me, I need to get a new card. So I'm going back to NVIDIA geforce.

To let you know, I tried everything and so did the technicians i left it with. We tried jumpers, bios upgrade/changes, driver updates, all kind of on-board/x800gt switcheroos and none of it worked in this particular case.

So, from this experience, I would just say that if you have tried the advice given on this forum (or any other forum) and still cant get the system to boot up then consider a different card.

The easiest way to find out if the card is compatible with your system or not is to check your motherboard, go to web pages that list the adapters and peripherals that are compatible with it.

Good luck to everyone with the problem!

Cheers

firstly, a big well done to sampson a supposedly "senior member" leading you all down a dark path that is windoze.

WRONG

no bios screen = hardware

unplug your hard drive and see if it boots, if it dos then listen to sampson, if it dosnt (and it wont) youll wanna read the rest of this post.

ok, cant remember all the questions completely but ill try to hit every note in one post.

first job. check for compatability issue with your specific bord and pcb number, as well as your bios and chipset. all of these can cause a vga failiure.

the basics of pc engineering teach that when using a confirmed working monitor, a vga error usually details a memory fault. this isnt the case since you all have working older cards and one person even had the card working in another board. so for most of you this will be a compatibility problem between you gfx and one of the listed items above.

also, there are two types of 12v rail connectors for gfx cards. one is a 4 pin much like the atx 2.0 plug. the second is 6 plugs with only 4 wired up.

the flat yellow connector your seeing is the "vivo" connector and has nothing to do with the basic functions of your card.

whilst fixing this problem i suggest unplugging anythin unneccesary.

ie. only mobo, cpu memory and gfx card are connected and powered.

im pretty sure all x800 series need the extra power connector. so do this. even if no plug was supplied you may still need it.

if removing all the extra stuff solves you problem, rejoice, and reconnect one by one to identify the part causing the problem.

now onto the jumpers.

if your bord is old enough to still be using these, you need to be memorising your motherboard book as this will give you clues as to where you have gone wrong.

as far as i know the only jumper on the back of an x8 series card is to select ntsc or pal for the composite output.

for those of you with dual dvi output, try a proper dvi monitor. even if you have to expliot a money back garuntee to do so.

everyone should check this one :

your gfx card has a default active head. be it dvi or vga. so try all connectors on the card as the default can be switched at any time. it is usually the one closest to the motherboard. but this isnt a definate rule.

if you have onboard vga, try sticking your plug on there and see if theres any life. it could just be a bios setting as mentioned before, again your motherboard book will tell you this.

and if youve got all the way down here and still having problems, id suggest:

A: contact your motherbord vendor for and exact list of tested and supported cards for their board.

B: bite the bullet and get a newer motherboard with a 915 chipset (if your on intel that is) as i have never seen issues with these.

if your using a via chipset, you need shooting. these are the most troublesome for compatability errors with ati cards.

bar having your hardware sat infront of me, i can do no more for you guys. so i hope this helped some of you, and your now enjoying the exccellence that is the x8 series

p.s. on the 915 chipset i have run an x300 an x800 gto an x850 pro vivo and am awaiting an x850xt but since its identical bar no severed pipelines and a few mhz to the 850 pro im not expecting any problems.

all have been used on two boards. gigabyte 81915g-mf and the foxxcon 915 p7ad

same problem with everyone else....

I bought an ATI Radeon X850 pro AGP 256mb graphics card from futureshop last month

was trying to replace the old nVIDIA GeForce FX5200 with this one

i cleaned up all the driver before installing the X850

after i put it in the AGP slot, reboot the computer

and then i just saw a black screen,

so i cant even adjust the BIOS

my monitor is like in standby mode or something

I'm using winXP SP1

400W adapter

my mobo is ASUS P4S800, with AGP 3.0, supports 8x

256mb ram...

no other PCI cards....so i think it cant be an IRQ problem....

is it incompatibility problem? or is it hardware problem?

please help!!!

its me again. i said i would respond when i got my new card. unfortunately after sending in the RMA a few weeks ago, ATI responded saying they were out of stock for the replacement and they didnt give a restock date. so im SOL until then.

good luck to the rest of you.

I have a similar problem. My Radeon x850 Pro AGP stopped outputting on DVI. I was getting the ATI "black screen of death" , my monitor would not find the signal. I am now hooked up to VGA. The weird thing is that it has been working with DVI since Dec 28/05. When I first hooked up to VGA, video was only on half the screen, and some partial panning was working. I changed the resolution to 1680 x 1050 for my widescreen Gateway FPD2185W (forgot the setting that the card had gone to) and have normal video on VGA. Restarted the computer and still have no DVI. This is a shared family computer and it is possible that someone did not do a proper shutdown and possibly corrupted the driver. I'll probably have to reinstall the drivers (again). Any ideas?

In another thread, pdcunni, it was found that the Gateway monitor was the problem not the card.

I just went through this problem. I tried booting up after installing my new X850 XT AGP and did not see a respsonse from the monitor, no BIOS info or anything.

Here are the things to look for:

1. Make sure your BIOS is up to date.

2. Check your power supply, make sure you are properly powering the card. Test with a different power supply if possible.

3. Make sure your BIOS is set to boot from the correct slot, AGP slot in my case.

4. Test with a different PC if possible. If the problem occurs on a second PC your card is bad and need to be repaired/replaced. If the card works fine on the new PC you have a mobo/BIOS issue.

If you can't even get to the BIOS screen, you definitely have a hardware or BIOS issue (This is obvious, I know).

I wound up buying a new motherboard from a place with a good return policy, the same problem occurred with the new board so I put the old mobo back in and returned the new mobo and got a replacement X850 XT card. The replacement X850 XT worked like a charm, it turns out the original ATI X850 XT was bad.

The mobo I'm using now is an old 478 socket with a VIA chipset and it works fine with the replacement ATI X850 XT AGP card. ATI seems to have a high defective percentage with this run of the X800 series cards.

good news for me and bad news for the rest of you. after waiting many weeks for my rma on the x850, my friend at ati told me that they werent going to restock any time soon so he canceled that order for me and replaced it with an all in wonder x800xt 256mb agp card. I got the card a few days later and it works perfectly fine, drivers installed smoothly with no issues. I really didnt need the tv tuner but now that i have a decent card i can finally start gaming again smile quake 4 runs smooth on high settings and battlefield2 looks great. FEAR still lags a bit but its a huge step up from my fx5200.

sorry to those still trying to figure this problem out, it looks as though ati is trying to filter out their agp cards so good luck getting another one. if its possible id reccomend returning it for a refund and going with nvidia.

good luck to the rest of you.

Ok ya I have the same problem as you guys. I have a p4s800d-e Deluxe Motherboard with 3ghz, 2gb ram,1 harddrive, 1dvd,1cd with a 400watt Power Supply.

I'm thinking the power supply isn't good for my X800 256 DDR3 AGP 8X. I think I need more juice so I bought a 600w and will let you know if it works.

I know its not the card because it was tested on 2 other pcs with no problems but for some reason my monitor does not want to kick in. I also pulled all the power wires connecting to any other hardware on my pc that does not need to boot (fans,cd,dvd) still nothing. Hopefully this 600w will solve my problem, because I don't want to go Nvidia.

OH, and no it is not my agp slot because i'm running my ATI 9800 AIW pro 128 right now.