Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
zhenlilu2003

Suse 10 sound need help

Hello, I just installed Suse 10 on my computer. Everything works fine except the sound. I have P5GD1 motherboard with Realtek High Definition Audio onboard, and i tried installing the realtek driver from the Realtek website, but could not get it to work. I am a total noob in Linux and this is the first time I have ever touched linux. Suse is indeed a very nice distribution. I really want to get the sound to work, then it would be perfect. Any help is appreciated.

Try going to start-->multimedia-->volume control and see if the volume is turned up, or if the sound card is seen. Set the volume up to almost max, just as it goes from green to red for the first setting on the "master" setting.

If the sound is not found or set up, let us know and we can go from here.

The other way to do this is through the command line and alsamixer.

Yes, i turned up the volumn to max, but still not a bit of sound. Absolutely quiet when play games or movies. But suse does recognize the sound card as Intel High Definition Audio and displays that Alsa is supported. When i use Windows xp everything works fine so i dont think it's hardware problem. Please tell me what to do/ ;-) thanks

I'm having the same problem on my new ECS (cheap crapola) 755-A2 motherboard. It has the Realtek ALC655 chip on it and I'm running Suse10 with a basically fresh install (x86-64). This chip seems to have some problems with certain linux distros, but there are a bunch of reports of it working. I've seen some people claim it works if you just revert to OSS instead of ALSA. That did not work for me. Anyway I noticed Sun uses this chip in their new 2100 series servers, so that makes me feel a lot better that this chip will be supported. I'm guessing theres just some peculiar problem rihgt now.

Anyone find a fix? Please post if you have any suggestions.

This works for me on all SUSE distros I've tried including 10.0.

Go to

Control Center/Sound and multimedia

unselect "Autosuspend if idle for [5 sec.]

(Default is 5 seconds which means sound is turned

off 5 seconds after startup.)

Click "apply"

Go back to Control Center and select "System Notifications".

Check "Apply to all Applications"

Click "Turn on all [sounds]

Click apply

From main menu

select "volume control"

push sliders for master,Master Mono and PCM all the

way up.

click "Apply"

Restart computer and use the speaker icon to adjust volume>

SUSE sets up REALTEK sound rather well BUT

the default settings suspends sound 5 seconds after startup.

Whoops

FOrgot to mention PC speaker in KMix is probably turned

all the way down in SUSE 10.0. Push it up or you won't hear anything.