Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
yhcln1

how to share folders on my network

hey eveybody, i have a problem with file sharing. i want to know how to share files between my laptop and my desktop. my desktop is connected to my laptop with a wireless network. i can also connect it with a ethernet cable. so i just want to know how to share files. i made a network place call \\mycomputer\c\networkplace on my laptop. now i want my desktop to see this "networkplace" folder so i transfer files from my laptop to my desktop. my desktop can't see the folder for some reason. help! and does anyone know how to share printers?

Bring up Windows explorer on your laptop. Right click on the folder you want to share, and click on Share from the drop down menu. Then you can put in a password or just make it shareable.

For your printers, it is similar. Bring up your printer on the control panel, right click on the icon. Make it shareable.

First, can the two computers see each other?

If so, from your desktop look for your laptop (either by using Search, or by opening "My Network Places" then click "View Workgroup Computers" on the Common Tasks column, or just click Start->Run... then enter \\<name of your laptop>), then you should see the shared folder inside it.

By the way, better to give both computers the same username/password as the owner of the shared folder, if you use an NT-tech Windows (eg WinNT, Win2k, or WinXP).