Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bluepgt

Blue screen

Hey everybody,

Ok, when I start up my computer I get a blue screen, sometimes it will work for a little bit, and somtimes it will do it before I enen sign in. Now with the blue screen I get either this: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

STOP 0X0000000A (0X805F2F65, 0X7X02, 0, 8X0, 0X805F2F65)

Or i get this: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGE_AREA

further down it also says

win32k.sys

ADDRESS BF80585C BASE AT BF 800000

I don't know that much about computers, and thru searching a couple of forums I found that it could be either Software or Hardware, that's why I didn't know where to put this problem at. I also heard that it could be the graphics card and since mine is a little older, I kind of think that that might be the problem, but I wanted some advice, from people that do know more about computers than I do, before I do anything on my own.

So please answer with any suggestions or comments.

Windows XP Home Edition

Version 2002

Service Pack 2

AMD Athlon XP 1800+

1.53 GHz, 128 MB of RAM

Graphic card

S3 Graphics Inc. Savage4

I bought it 1999

I believe it is a 16 maybe 32 MB

Thanks

Update,

I turned my computer on again today and I got this:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGE_AREA

STOP: 0x0000050 (0xE5B8537E, 0x00000001, 0xFC35AE03, 0x00000002)

Ntfs.sys Address FC35AE03 Base at FC332000

Sounds like a video issue, can be many reasons to get this, overheating, faulty/failing video card, driver conflict, weak power supply

I would start by uninstalling your old video drivers, and try a different version. Maybe even newer version if you have not updated them recently. Or older if you have recently upgraded them.

Scan your system for Spyware, also check that you have nothing running in the background that can possibly be conflicting, I would recommend a easy online scan

http://housecall60.trendmicro.com/en/start_corp.asp?id=scan

(Choose Complete Scan)

If you have not installed any Chipset Drivers for your board, such as VIA, SiS, nForce, ect.. I would recommened doing so as that may also clear up any problems. You can always search google by typing the name of the chipset and find and download the drivers to match yours.

If the above does not resolve the issue, try this next,

Reboot and go into the BIOS, find in the BIOS anything relating to Video (such as Fast Writes, AGP Speed, Video Cache, Video Shadow, AGP Aperature. ect..) For Video Ram Cache and Video Shadow, I would disable them, most modern video cards do not need this option and can cause conflicts since they have their own built in cachine and shadow features. Mostly older cards such as Trident 9xxx cards and such use this option. And mainly older PCI models, AGP should really not need it.

Quick Question: Do you have an nVidia AGP Video Card?

If so, look for Fast Writes and change the setting for it, (usually only 2 options, Enabled/Disabled, simply change it to the opposite.

Also, if you have am item called "AGP Driving Strength, change it to Manual and set it for FF (this is the strongest setting and will provide more priority to the card) If this works, it could mean you need to replace your Power Supply, as it may not be providing enough power to all devices, if you have recently ugraded to a higher end card, you may need more power to supply it. While some will say 400-450 is sufficient for most systems, its better to have a little too much than not enough as not enough will cause hardware to work harder and overheat.

Just dont go overboard if this is what your needing, you wont need something like a 600-700 watt! 500-550 will be fine!

Ok, after you first have tried the BIOS settings, also check AGP Aperature Size, what is it set for? Have you tried setting it to 128 or 64? What is the support on your board for AGP Speed? 2x, 4x, 8x ? Or is this a PCI Express system? Or just a plain PCI system, if you can provide more detail as to your hardware and such, it will enable me to help you further.

Also, if you have recently bought a new video card, such as a new AGP nVidia FX Series, most of which will have a power plug to plug in the power (same cables that power your hard drives and cd-roms) Make sure you have plugged one in!! That can definately be a problem if the system is not able to power it properly. (Its common to forget to do the simple things, so please take no offense, I mean nothing bad by asking this question, as everyone can make simple mistakes, its part of life)

One last thing, if you have a AGP 4x card and your BIOS/Board supports AGP 8x, be sure that 8x is not set and set it to 4x, normally it will still only run as fast as the card supports, but in some cases, it may not detect that its 4x and may need to set it to 4 in order for it to work properly.

On a side note, I have seen many 8x AGP Video cards that are placed in boards only running at max 4x that seem to have a conflict, if that is the case, you would need a card to match your board (4x) or a new board to match the card (8x)