Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dllfile

Mandriva 2005 LE - non Responsive Package Installation

Hello all, I am very new to Linux, I am currently having an issue with Mandriva 2005 LE (DVD)

I have gotten the OS installed np, everything seems to work ok, cept the Package Updater, when I am installing packages, it downloads them, starts installing the selected updates/fixes ect..

Then after a few minutes it will just sit there, the progress bar window is open, but nothing else happening. As if it is not reponding. I had this happen earlier today so I closed the window and tried to run again, but would not run, so I rebooted the OS, ended up messing up the install of Linux and had to reinstall fresh.

Now I am at this point again and am afraid to close it :P

Anyone know how to resolve this issue? Or know if I can safely shutdown the update process and restart it?

Everything else is running still, so the system is not completly frozen, just the package install process. I am playing Frozen Bubble in the meantime 0o

System:

AMD Athlon XP 1800+

768MB DDR PC-2100

nVidia Geforce MX 440 64MB

40GB Maxtor

SB Live! 5.1

DVD-RW (using from my other system to install the DVD version then switching back to CD-Rom once I get things sorted.)

I have other hard drives for the system, but I have not connected them yet till I get the OS running and stable (no ide or power connected to others)

Oh, and anyone know where I can get some drivers that are easily installed for Mandriva 2005 for SB Live! 5.1?

Thanks in advance for any replies/help

// dllfile

ok, well I took a chance again and decided to close the package installer and reboot the system.

Everything went ok, and have gotten the updates installed. Still would like to know if anyone else experiences this prob and if their is some reason why it would do that and if so, any way to avoid it in the future?

Do you have an internet connection in the system now? Did you set up the NIC card during the installation? Are you using dialup, DSL or broadband?

Sometimes, the mirror that is doing the update fails. I have had this problem from time to time. You can try selecting a different mirrot for updates.

I have 3Mbit Broadband (Cable) I setup my NIC on local static ip instead of dynamic. Net seems to work ok, 320-400KB/s downloads, Mirrors seem to download fine.

The problem does not occur during the "download" phase of up[censored], it happens while the packages are being installed.

And I think I may have found the problem, well sorta. Seems if I select a ton of updates at one time, it will sometimes freeze at random and end up corrupting my install. However, if I select maybe a few packages such as 5 at a time, it works fine and have not gotten a freeze up.

I am open for suggestions on why this would be? Until I have that figured out I am going to remain using Xandros and kep Mandriva on another system for testing, need to reolve it as it happens on different systems, Even tried with no Firewalls. Tried DMZ mode on my Router, same issue though, but could be possible the Router may have anything to do with it even in DMZ mode?

Netgear 4 Port Router RP614 v2 with latest Firmware

Thanks for your reply btw!