Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
johnwoodrow

fedora core 4 with Sagem F@st 3202

Hello, complete newbie here. I live in France and have been with Wanadoo for a good year now. Recently I have installed FC4 on my other computer (Kernel: 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4smp) and I can't get it to work on the internet. The Modem is a Sagem F@st 3202 which is connected via USB, it came with a setup disk that I can't get to work. Aside from that I am incompetent as to know what to do at all. I will get my head around this all day by day, I am too used to the ease of Windows os', I appreciate the difficulties that come with a linux based os for incompetents like myself as they force me to get to know my system.

Please help me.

Originally posted by johnwoodrow:

Quote:
Hello, complete newbie here. I live in France and have been with Wanadoo for a good year now. Recently I have installed FC4 on my other computer (Kernel: 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4smp) and I can't get it to work on the internet. The Modem is a Sagem F@st 3202 which is connected via USB, it came with a setup disk that I can't get to work.

The disk that came with the modem...does it come with Linux drivers, or is it a driver disk for Windows only?

In terms of Fedora, you have the version for a multi-processor system. Is this what you have?

Is your ISP a DSL account that requires you to login to the account, or is it broadband?

Does the ISp connect using dynamic assignment of the ip address or static ip?

In general, Linux likes to connect via NIC cards, not USB modems, which are still poorly supported. Is there a NIC card in the system?

Originally posted by danleff:

Quote:
Originally posted by johnwoodrow:

Quote:
Hello, complete newbie here. I live in France and have been with Wanadoo for a good year now. Recently I have installed FC4 on my other computer (Kernel: 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4smp) and I can't get it to work on the internet. The Modem is a Sagem F@st 3202 which is connected via USB, it came with a setup disk that I can't get to work.

The disk that came with the modem...does it come with Linux drivers, or is it a driver disk for Windows only?

In terms of Fedora, you have the version for a multi-processor system. Is this what you have?

Is your ISP a DSL account that requires you to login to the account, or is it broadband?

Does the ISp connect using dynamic assignment of the ip address or static ip?

In general, Linux likes to connect via NIC cards, not USB modems, which are still poorly supported. Is there a NIC card in the system?

I guess it's a disk for windows only, I can explore the disk but when I click on any .exe files I get the message 'Couldn't display "/media/cdrom/Livebox.exe".'

I don't have a multi processor system, I have a pentium 4 2.8GHZ with Hyper Threading.

Our account is broadband.

I don't know whether the isp connects using dynamic assignment or static. How can I find out?

What's an NIC card? I don't know. How can I find out? The computer is connected to the livebox via a type B to type A usb. There are also 2 ethernet ports on the livebox.

OK, let's go one by one.

Quote:
I guess it's a disk for windows only, I can explore the disk but when I click on any .exe files I get the message 'Couldn't display "/media/cdrom/Livebox.exe".'

This is a disk for Windows only. The exe files are for Windows use only.

Quote:
I don't have a multi processor system, I have a pentium 4 2.8GHZ with Hyper Threading.

The version of Fedora that you have is using the smp kernel, which is for multi-processor systems. Let's move on, but this should be OK for now.

Quote:
Our account is broadband.

So, you do not need to sign into your account? It is always active?

Quote:
I don't know whether the isp connects using dynamic assignment or static. How can I find out?

Most likely you have dynamic isp if this is a broadband account. This determines if the modem/system get's assigned an isp automatically (dynamic), or if you need to manually input the values assigned by your iso provider (static).

Quote:
What's an NIC card? I don't know. How can I find out? The computer is connected to the livebox via a type B to type A usb. There are also 2 ethernet ports on the livebox.

Do you have any ethernet connections on the PC that you are trying to connect from? It would be helpful if you could post the make and model of PC that you are using. Or, if this is a self built system, the motherboard make and model

Linux works best using a connection through an ethernet connection. If your system has an ethernet (NIC) card built-in, then you should be able to connect through this port to the USB modem.

Just to be sure what you have, could you also post the model number of the USB modem?

I just looked at the Livebox page. This is new to me, but I think I get the idea.

Thankyou so much for trying to help me.

My account is always active with no need to sign in. I have 2 network devices on my computer and I believe both have ethernet capability, the first is an intel corporation 82547EI gigabit ethernet controller (LOM), and the second; Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139+

The livebox serial number is 3105019DPB01958

My system is self built, the motherboard a jetway altair g.

Fixed it, I went out and bought an ethernet cable, plugged it in, went to network configuration, edit, selected 'automatically obtain ip address settings with dhcp', reset my computer and it worked. I did say I was incompetent didn't I?

Thanks for your time, Danleff.