Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
m-soloaaxx

WIN 98SE will not load drivers from CD-ROM-HANGING-FREEZING??

Hi Guys, I tried to install a APC Battery Backup on my Dads computer. The Windows Installer asked for the Win 98SE disk,so I put one in the CD-ROM drive(CD is for another system). Then it goes in to a long process of installation(eterinity!!!!!). I think its hanging or freezing so I stop the process(Blue screen with the message the 'system is busy please let windows continue' appears sometimes).

Now I try a different approach. I insert the Win 98 se disk and try to explore it but I see only a cd music player(???) with 1 music track. Needless to say it will not play(how hard are you guys laughing right now??? just thought Id ask). Aha, maybe windows cannot access the disk, which LEADS TO MY FIRST QUESTION. HOW DO I MAKE WINDOWS SEE AND EXTRACT FILES OR DATA FROM THE DISK??

As for the APC disk it does not work either, instructions point to the WIN98SE disk for basic drivers.

SYSTEM SPECS:Intel Pentium II operating at 400 MHz

with 192 MB of ram and Award bios( I think )

( more precise specs later)....

Question 2 should I have a shop reinstall the operating system and help me with all accesories, as I am quite new to all these different operating systems. PS, I like XP Home better!!!! But its my dads computer OK. thanks if you can help me....

When you say this cd is for another system I wonder whether or not this is a retail disk or one that came with an OEM computer.

If it is an OEM disk it may just be a restore disk.

You could try exploring the disk with Isobuster and if all the files are there then extract them.

Hi Zombie, I will find out where to get an isobuster on the web and try that. I also have some demo disks with different applications, maybe i will find somthing useful. The problem is accessing the disk right now, cause the music player keeps showing up now. Maybe I can change the options in explorer somehow??????