Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
wicked_hobbit

Please help. PC won't boot after added a new RAM.

greetings to all of you.i really really need your help figuring out what is really happened with my pc and how to overcome it.

days ago,my roommate brought me a 32mb ram for me.i already have a 128 mb inside my pc.mine and his were both sdram.

i let him do the job.first,he took out my 128mb ram from its slot.then,sadly,he made a mistake by putting both mine and his rams into the ddr slots (supposed to be in the sd ones).we tried to turn on the pc but something went wrong.the pc won't boot.nothing was on the monitor.no normal beep.after seconds,it produced long scary endless beeps with short pauses.so i just switched off everything.

realizing our mistake,we took out the rams from its wrong slots and put into the sd ones.but still the problem persisted.i tried putting just my 128 mb ram but still nothing happened.

i tried putting the rams on different slots but still it failed. i also tried clearing the cmos by the jumper but nothing appeared to be right.

i hope you can help me.thank you for your time reading my post.thanks again.

Well, I hate to say it bud, but I believe you may have damaged the connector stripes on your RAM. Your best bet would be to go get another stick (find one for free if possible) and try it. If the comp works then, your RAM is fried. However, a few basic things to check:

-Make sure the RAM is firmly seated, you do NOT need to force it in, but make sure it does not just lift out, the retension clips should be all the way down.

-NEVER handle the RAM without grounding yourself first. Either keep a hand or other bare part of your body touching the case (PSU for best results) it doesn't always work, but it does give you a buffer against static at least.

-Thirdly, NEVER let a friend install your RAM or any other part unless he ABSOLUTELY knows what he is doing.

You see, when you try to put SDRAM into a DDR slot, a couple of things happen; the stripe can be damaged because the slot is not the right size, and forcing the stick in will cause the gold plates to warp. Also, if you DO magically happen to be able to force the stick in, and it somehow gets power, that's 1.8V MORE than the max threshold for SDRAM going through those DDR slots, so bye bye RAM.