Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rnakai

Pop ups lock up XP machine requiring reboot after loading Norton Internet Securi

I have a Win XP machine (version 2002, service pack 2) w/ Internet Explorer 6 (service pack 2). Everything was fine. Then, I loaded Norton Internet Security 2005, and during the installation got a warning messages indicating a conflict between XP's and Norton IS's version of some html file. The recommendation was to uninstall some security patch, load Norton IS, then resinstall the security patch (I think). I never wrote this down, but continued with the installation, which succeeded.

But, now when I get pop-up windows, the computer locks up and requires a reboot. I used XP's uninstall feature to uninstall Norton IS and then reinstalled it hoping to get the conflict message again, so that I could remedy the problem. But, the conflict message never reappears.

Does anyone know of the particular conflict between XP and Norton Internet Security leading to pop-ups locking my computer, and what to do about this?

Or, does anyone know how to deep uninstall Norton Internet Security 2005 so that a reinstall will give me the warning message again?

Thanks so much for your help.

Richard