Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
stumpit666

Quake 2 and The Reckoning on XP

I can't get Quake 2 to install and get an error about the language being incorrect etc. I used the manual method as outlined elsewhere on this forum and Q2 works.

I tried to install The Reckoning (Mission Pack) and of course could not install because Q2 was not installed.

There is a maual method outlined here somewhere as well but that did not work.

Is there anyone out there who can help me install the mission pack (or Q2).

Thanks

stumpit

I worked out the problem. I just set all regional settings in Control Panel to English (United Kingdom) and the install worked.

From there I even installed the Mission Pack. Now I can get Quake 2 to work in a window only (a very small window) and the Mission Pack loads but goes no further.

Any ideas

Stumpit

Use a source port for the game like Quake 2 Max www.quake2max.com or EGL www.echon.org or Quake 2 Evolved, www.quake2evolved.com.

These ports work better than the original Quake 2 EXE and offer much improved graphics and compatibility with newer hardware.

EGL has problems with mission packs, but I recently played both missions packs, The Reckoning and Ground Zero with Quake2Max and recommend it. Evolved is kinda slow, and the graphical effects are better with Quake2Max. but evolved does have more features.

Thanks Pmistry. I had no success with evolve or EGL but Quake2max worked fine except for one thing. I saved a game but I can't reload it. I go into console mode with a message that the game was ended because of some pointer problem.