Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
osirus

Dual Processor vs Single Processor.

i currently have a 450 P3, i was thinking of upgrading but i dont know what to go with. should i a)Buy another P3 450 and buy a dual motherboard or should i B) buy a new processor (not sure the speed i want).

which would be the better for performance and cost?

another thing if i buy a p3 500/600 would it still go with my 450 in a dual board?

thx for your help

osirus

Depends on the motherboard, and depends on what you do with your computer.

Dual CPU is great if you do lots of things at the same time - any kind of Gfx or development work, burning, browsing, etc, or don't like to shut down apps while you play games smile

A faster single CPU i sbetter if you only us one app at a time - ie. just games...

Whether your mobo will take a faster CPU depends on your mobo...

thx, what i meant at the end was is it possible to put a 500 and a 450 on a dual motherboard?

How exactly would a multiplier-locked 450 and a 500 work on the same board?

Tthe only situation I think it could work with is a Celeron 300A modified and a PII(!) 450.

Force a 100MHz BUS and both run at 450MHz. Same with a P!!! 450 on 100MHz bus and a P!!! 600 on a 133MHz bus. Force the 133MHz bus and both go at 600Mhz.

But getting a 500MHz processor locked at 5.0 to run at 450MHz which needs a multiplier of 4.5 is new to me anyway. smile

Brendan

Sorry guys - I shouldn't post while drunk...

You can only have SMP using 2 CPU's of the same core speed and multiplier, and no more than 1 "core stepping" difference...

Check the Intel web site - it has extensive info about which CPU's can be used in an SMP environment...

If you wanna buy a dual CPU mobo, we've talked a lot about it already. Just try the search button : it was just before the official release of Win2k. I thinkthe post was called "a good dual mobo"or something likethat".

Have fun.

Awx

According to the manula of my ABIT BP6 you can use two different clock speed of CPUs on it. It is a socket 370 dual Celeron board. I have not tried to use different cpus in it. I guess I could since I have two of them running with two 366@550 in one and two 466@560 in the other. Very much a pain in the neck to try it though.

Ed

SMP = symetric multi proc

I don't think it does really work at 100%with CPU at different speed.

Awx

thx i think im gonna go with the dual, i do alot of multi tasking.

thx everyone for the help