Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bonez

nvidia geforce MX 4000 problem

PC : 1.5gig AMD Athlon, 256 RAM, 32MB SiS 300/305, 35gig HD.

I am trying to install this new graphics card ive bought nvidia geforce MX 4000 but i have a big problem. Firstly even though in the manual it says it is compatible with AGP2x/4x/8x slots it wont fit into my AGP4x SLOT! (after i remove my previous card). Infact it only fits into the PCI slots that i have. Ok after i uninstall old drivers, put it into PCI slot and screw it in.. i turn my computer on the monitor do not receives any signal from video card. Infact the red light (signalling hard drive access) doesnt even come up meaning that nothing has started (not even BIOS).The only light i see is the green one signalling power to the PC. THen i remove it and install my old card and everything is OK! Why is this happening to me frown

P.S-maybe i need to download drivers for PCI based cards?

AGP slots should all be the same. In their first implementation, the AGP slot was brownish in color on the motherboard. The MX 4000 only comes in AGP I think. They even work with AGP 1.0 that emulates AGP 2.0. If the computer is halting when you put the card in a PCI slot, the machine is "shorting out." I presume that you are putting this card in for gaming. You could use a PCI card in that machine. Nvidia still makes PCI cards like the 5200 which would probably run a little faster than the MX 4000.

STOP! OMG what are you doing!!!?! You put an AGP card into a PCI slot? Did you use a HAMMER? How did you get an AGP 4X/8X card to FIT into it?

*takes deep breath*

Whoo... okay, so, you say your new card doesn't fit into your AGP slot? Alright, a few things to look at. What kind of motherboard do you have? (Ie: It's Manufactuer [Asus, Abit, ECS, etc etc]) What kind of video card are you replacing? (And why the hell did you buy an MX4000 in this day and age?) You can get a kickass Radeon 9600XT or a GeForce 6600 for $20 more (sometimes less). And whatever you do, do NOT go for a PCI card, they are the devil. Stick with using your AGP slot. As for your problem, which, I find incredibly... impossible. AGP card inserts come in a few different shapes, AGP 1X/2X cards have only one notch in them, whereas AGP 2X/4X/8X/Universal have two notches, and an L shaped key on the end, other 2X/4X cards have two notches, but no key, just a flat slab of PCB.

Try to fit the card again, in the AGP slot this time, and DO NOT put the AGP card in the PCI slot again! There is a very high chance of damaging the card AND your motherboard. If it does NOT fit, take it back, and get something better than an MX. Stay AWAY from MX. Think happy thoughts of Radeon 9600-9800, or X600-X850, or GF 6600-6800 Ultra.