Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Fozz

Reinstalling Win2000

Hi all.

A quick question.

I have, at the moment, the 2195 build Evaluation copy of Windows 2000 installed.

I only installed it recently and it works fine (except for a blue screen error on shutdown with APM enabled....won't get into that here!)

Now my question is that if I want to install the full version of Win2000, can I simply run the WinNT32 off the CD and it will simply overwrite my installed copy?

Or will I have to reinstall my applications again?

Thanks in advance for help here.

Yes and No. If you only have the upgrade version you cannot upgrade your install. Obviously MS does not want ppl upgrading free OS's for the full OS. If you have the Full copy then yes you can install over the top and still retain your current config.

MSGuy(aka Robgoo at work)

MSGuy - If I change some hardware and decide that I want to start fresh when it comes to device drivers, however want all my software to remain installed, can this be accomplished by installing a new version of Win2k Pro over an existing install (not an upgrade install) or does an upgrade install accomplish the same thing? Thanks :-)

------------------

Shrink

92% of the things we worry about don't happen - but the other 8% DO!

Why would you want to? Since I started supporting Win2k Pro on the 17th most of the issue I have been seeing are botched upgrades. I have personally never done an upgrade and I certainly do not recommend it. Im not sure I completely understand your question. Basically you want to do an upgrade but not use the same drivers as NT 4.0 or 9.x right? This can be done after you upgrade but i am not aware of anyway to do this simply(it can be done but I'd rather not deal with adding install scripts and such). So in short, I would recommend that you install fresh. It will be a better situation all around and will cause you less headache.

MSGuy (aka Robgoo at work)

Hi again.

Ok, so I went and ran the WINNT32.exe off the CD and everything seemed to be going fine when the system crashed with a Blue screen saying IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and I had to reboot.

That was during the Loading device drivers section.

So, Irebooted and it started again.

This time it got as far as Saving settings when it just rebooted (!?) and so it started again.

I did this about a half dozen times with that blue screen appearing at different points each time.

I even got a PAGEFAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA errr so I tried doing the install with different combinations of my DIMM chips in case that was the problem.

Eventually it worked BUT on the last attempt it reported a few java files that could not be loaded.

(Note that I know that this is a working CD...)

So it went into Windows but went to a black screen instead of the desktop.

After going to Safe Mode I uninstalled the TNT2 3.76 driver and so it works fine with a VGA driver.

I can reinstall the 3.76 driver and it seems cool until I attempt to change the res or colour palette, at which point it blanks out and does not recover.

I have detailed this in another post but I though I would mention it here in case u guys have any ideas.

Cheers.

Did you run the /checkupgradeonly switch? This will create a report of what on your machine is not compatible with Win2k. Also another thing to look at is Anti-Virus software. Softwares such as Nortan 6.x, McAfee, Logitec mouseware and some others i cannot think of right now will hose up a 2000 install real quick. Also what kind of video card do you have? You should try doing a clean install, upgrades suck.

MSGuy (RobGoo at work)

MSGuy....when you say that some s/w messes up the install I suppose you mean whatever software I have installed in 98 or 2000 when I run the WinNT (or WinNT32).

So, would I be better off booting from a 98 boot diskette and running the WinNT straight off the CD from DOS?

Cheers.

You would be best installing off a clean HD.

------------------

-------------------

MSGuy (RobGoo @ work)

v-2rogoo@mssupport.microsoft.com