Riva TNT2

AMD K6-2 400

SBLive!

13.6GB HD

1 PCI network card

1 ISA network card

Yamaha 8424 EZ IDE CD-R drive

-----------------------------

Now the problem. Everytime i play an MP3 with ANY player and click on my start menu, the crackling sound pops up!!! ARGH! I'm getting this with the new Dell drivers and the old drivers of Live! And yes, this configuration is rock stable! I can play Unreal Tournament at AGP2x with AGP SB if you guys are wondering.

Please help me! I tried disabling write cache and change my HD to use PIO mode, but it STILL does not help!

Please help!

Yes I've found this too with my system.

I get it even when I move the mouse, if the volume is up relatively high (much worse than win98). To minimise it try disbling the GUI effects in the display settings, like fading menus, full window drag etc. With Winamp I found that setting the buffer size to 1! worked brilliantly.

System:

MVP3 va-503+ bios JK4324

128MB sdr

Riva TNT (no d3d, agp)

AMD K6-2 450

creative PCI64v

13.6 GB HD

Realtek 8029 NET

hauppauge WinTV

Hey there.

I have this exact same pronblem.

It has to be the SBLive! card and maybe when Creative come along and release a driver update or patch, this will be resolved.

Another thing is that Win2000 doesn't seem t play MP3's as well or as clear as Win98.

I think it's a decoding problem so we may have to live with it for a time....and yes, it is annoying!

Anyone else?

"With Winamp I found that setting the buffer size to 1! worked brilliantly."

Er...where is that setting for the buffer in Winamp?!\

Thanks.

I'm not sure of Sb Live, but my SB PCI64 was doing the same thing. I went into multimedia options, and turned the acceleration for the sound card down. it didn't make it perfect, but it sure as hell made it better.

I am getting the same problem and it's not with MP3's only .. Half-life and a couple other games have a crackle sound to them .. It's got to be a codec or driver with the SBLive

An update guys. Still does not work even after setting the buffer to 1. I thought that this was a problem with VIA. Hmm... My friends with BX chipsets have this problem too! I'm so happy in one way smile , but sad in on way too. frown

To Fozz

Start up an MP3, press CTRL-P select output/waveout change sliders MAX blocks, Min + max size until crackling breaks stop. For buffer length you need to press stop then restart play.

Sometimes its worse than usual, and the settings need to be completely changed for no apparent reason!

I don't have this problem, although I have noticed a weird bug with the Bass/Treble sliders. If you put them in the middle (which is where you would expect them to be), they are grossly over volumed. Depending on your speakers, this could cause the crackling.

The bundled 2k drivers and the Dell drivers have this problem. The actual "flat" setting for bass and treble is right after the very first dash near the "low" setting. The leaked "beta" Creative drivers fix this, the flat setting is right in the middle where it should be.

[This message has been edited by DrSchmoe (edited 28 February 2000).]