Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
markv

Video Card - BIOS conflict

The system boots fine up till completion of the IDE discovery step. Then the board's speaker beeps continuously. The system will continue to boot fine into WinXP, just continuing to Beep.

The only Beep Error Info on an Award BIOS is for Video Card error. When the OS is up, it recognizes the Video Adapter correctly (ATI Radeon 9200SE) and shows no conflicts, IRQ etc.

The motherboard is ASUS P2B-D supporting AGP, 1x & 2x. The 9200 SE supports 2x, 4x & 8x AGP.

What can the motherboard/BIOS be signalling by the constant Beep?

Thanks

PS-The 9200 SE was running fine in a different computer. The ASUS P2B-D, also accepts an old S3-Trio AGP card with no problems(no beeping).

AFAIK, the 9200 is an 8x AGP part and only supports going back to AGP 4x settings.

Now then, you said it worked on another computer, what was the motherboard in that system ?!?

Did that motherboard support AGP 4x cards ?!?

If so then that's your answer, you have to have a motherboard that supports AGP 4x or 8x cards.

So why does the S3 Trio card work, because it's an AGp 1x/2x part and the timings/signal voltages are correct for that motherboard.

Sorry but you will need to find an older graphics card that supports 1x/2x and possibly 4x to work on that motherboard wink

Thanks for ATI AGP Chart.

I notice that the 9200 is AGP v3.0 and though the documentation for the motherboard doesn't specify, I'd guess it's at AGP v1.0.

Do you know if AGP 3.0 is backwards compatible with AGP 1.0? Since the 9200 appears to work, I don't think this would cause the motherboard/bios conflict.

I had reviewed the IRQ's and cleared that out. Also I had disabled the game port.

Do you know if what's the risk of disabling the motherboard speaker and continuing to use it as is?

Originally posted by markv:

Quote:
Do you know if what's the risk of disabling the motherboard speaker and continuing to use it as is?

There should not be a problem, however, since you appear to have an older AGP 1.0 slot, this may still cause issues with that card due to the slower timing/speed.

You've already mentioned some issues that I believe are directly related to this and that is why I recommended only using an older AGP 1x/2x graphics card wink