Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
deesmygal

I'm a real newbeeeeee!

I'm very new to this, I would like to figure out how to get Mandrake 10.1 installed.

I downloaded it and I think I made the disk correctly.

I used Roxio's disk creator and burned a disk from an image file.

It seems like everything is there and when I install the disk in the machine , it gives me a menu screen, one of the choices is to install MandrakeLinux, yet when I try to invoke it nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong? any help,at this point would be a lot.

One of the problems could be the image file that you burned. There are three image (iso) files to burn. Can you give the name of the iso file(s) that you burned?

Secondly, the speed of the burn is important. Burn iso images at 4X or 8X, no more.

The download could be bad. Was this image downloaded via dialup or broadband?

Finally, what system are you trying to install to? Some basic system specifications would be nice to help us guide you along.

Thnaks for the feedback.

I have a Soyo mb with a 2.4 Celeron 512Mb of PC2100.

I downloaded the DVD iso of MandrakeLinux 10.1.

I burned it with Roxio Creator Classic the speed of the burn was about 4-5 and I have broadband.

I have reburned the file again and still no luck I also downloaded it again from a different site and still no luck. It had the same name and performed the same also.

I'll be away for a few days but I will get back to you for sure I really do appericate you taking the time to help me.

Would I be beter off purchasing the disk from a place like pctech101.

There is an offer of the 6 disk set of Mandrake 10.1 for $15.00.

Is that just for the software or does that include the license also.

It seems very confusing to me. With all this freeware and the like and no real good marketing scheme, so I can shop with a reasonable amount of sucess that what I'm buying will be OK.

I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for either. I would like to have a server running, on my home network. I've heard that a linux server would do the job. So here I am.

Please forgive my naivete I'm very very new to this.

No need to apologize. Let me just ask, what dvd/dvd burner drive do you have?

Also, when you look at the contents of the dvd, is there just one file (the iso file) or a list of files and directories?

And you chose to burn "as image" in your software, not as just a data file?

There has to be something amiss with the iso image or the burn method. Possibly the dvd media?

The downloaded iso image is over 2 gigs before burning?

New member jumping in....

First, start with a free distro. I recommend Ubuntu--partly because you only need one CD to install it---it gets the rest off the net.

Don't even think about getting into Linux without broadband---there are too many situations where you have to go out and grab some kind of file.