Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
joops

Explorer.exe error =/

Hello all,

I'm having some trouble. ;(

When I logon my computer, Windows starts to load and right before my desktop would normally appear I get a window popping up stating something along the lines of "Explorer.exe error, failed to initialize. Click 'ok' to terminate the application."

So I have no desktop, only a blank background which sometimes changes to my wallpaper.

When I boot up in Safe Mode, nothing changes. I can only do things from Task Manager. I tried running sfc /scannow but I believe I clicked "scan on boot", so now whenever I boot up it scans. It hasnt found anything, so I tried to do sfc /revert but I get an error message stating

"Windows File Protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files. The specific error code is 0x000006ba [The RPC Server is unavailable.]

I also downloaded SpyBot from another computer and ran it from my cddrive. It found and I deleted lots of spyware. Did the same with Avast! and I believe it found a few trojan downloaders in my temp. internet files. I deleted those.

Now I dont know what to do next, please help.

Try and see if explorer.exe opens this way.

Open Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del)

Make sure its on the Processes tab

Click File-> New Task(Run..)

Type explorer.exe

Press Enter

If you get the same message then explorer.exe may be corrupt so then do the following.

Open Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del)

Make sure its on the Processes tab

Click File-> New Task(Run..)

Type sfc /SCANONCE

Press Enter

Follow the instructions and Reboot.

I did as you said, but when the progress bar reached 100%, the window disappeared. I went to Task Manager and it wasnt running anymore, it just quit itself out. This is very frustrating.

Originally posted by american zombie:

Quote:
Would explorer run from task manager?

Basically I appear to have the same problem. When I boot my computer it goes through starting Windows XP and then very briefly loads explorer so I get a glimpse of the task bar and then I am left with a plain bright blue screen. I start Task Manager and carry out the instructions in your earlier post (the mouse works). The sfc command brings a DOS window very briefly and then back to the blue screen. There is CPU activity for about a minute, but explorer still loads and stops.

My computer is semi home built with an AMD processor. Originally it had two drives. All this started when I tried to change the partition with Windows XP. It was too small. That drive also had a boot partition and the other drive was just storage. It now has one drive with the original boot partition and a new bigger partition with a re-installation of XP but only SP1. The original had SP2 and I am wondering if that is causing this problem.

Any help would be marvellous.

I tried all the above but failed to work. after running explorer.exe on task manager it works, but you will have to do that every time you log off or restart your computer. In the event logs it shows that Service Control Manager Failed to start. How do I permantly solve this one.