Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
smokinkane

Need Help Finding a New Motherboard P4

I currently have an Albatron PX865PE PRO II, it is a great 865pe based board with alot of features some of which I use some I don't. I left on vacation, came back and the computer was off, turned it back on to get many random memory errors. RMA'd the OCZ PC4400 memory I had, got it back samething (mind you this setup has had no changes in about 6 months). So I got to looking closely at the motherboard itself, and saw that several of the capacitors directly around the memory slots, are leaking, some more than others. I'm assuming this explains everything, but, I'm having a hell of a time finding a motherboard with the features I need included. I would like to stay with the 865 or 875 chipset and it has to be s478 for my 2.4c. The board needs to be overclockable, have a PATA raid controller, have SATA available, and also onboard LAN. Here is the rest of the system I have now:

Albatron PX865PE PRO II

P4 2.4c @3.3

Thermaltake Bigwater

512mgOCZ PC4400 running at 4400 CL 2.5 in Dual Channel

2 80gb WD PATA hard drives in RAID 0

1 120gb WD

1 250gb SATA Seagate for backup

ATI Radeon 9800pro

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Lite-on DVD burner

Lite-on CDRW

In my experience, I tend to stay away from the smaller company boards, yes, they can be cheaper, but that's often the problem. Try to find yourself a nice Asus, Abit, or Aopen board, or even an Intel board. The chances of a capacitor leak are much lower on higher quality boards. I've been using Asus boards for years, and I have never seen leaky capacitors on them. (Except after a freak lightning storm, but that was deliberate, experimentation with lightning is fun, but always have a good ground wire :P)

Whatever your decision, remember one thing, only pick up what you are comfortable with, if you have second thoughts about the hardware, put it down, and think on it for a while before buying it.