Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ibshortie

Won't see new 2nd drive

I have a Dell 4600 with a sata hard drive (Maxtor 6Y160M0)I am trying to install a 2nd Segate drive (3200822A) which is just an ata drive. The computer is not seeing the new drive, I have even installed a different drive which I have data on and it will not see that either, it is also ata.

I put the Segate drive in a external enclosure and was able to format it so the drive seems to be ok plus the other one I put in I know is good.

I have 2 Dvd drive hooked up on the primary cable. I have set the jumper on the Segate to slave and it is connected to the Secondary Ide cable on the end connector. Is there something I need to do with the primary Maxtor sata drive to make this work?

Well most likely you need to adjust the system BIOS settings from AUTO to Enhanced mode for the IDE/SATA controller ports.

I can't remember what keyboard option at the POST screen is to get into a Dell, but try some of these and see if they work or not:

F2, F4, F10, F12 or even the DEL keys.

You may or may not find this option in the Advanced Chipset section, sometimes under the Integrated Peripherals section.

Once you have changed this option, then Save & Exit and you should be able to see up to (6)Six devices.

I'm not seeing those options in the bios screen. The only thing that seems to pertain is "drive configuration" under that I choose secondary slave drive and then I have the option of either off or auto.

Originally posted by ibshortie:

Quote:
I have set the jumper on the Segate to slave and it is connected to the Secondary Ide cable on the end connector.

If that cable has three connectors (one for board and two for drives) then the end connector of the cable would be for master and the middle one would be for slave.

If this is your case then you need to set the Seagate to master if it connected to the end of the cable. If going to leave as slave then you want the middle connector.

Originally posted by american zombie:

Quote:
If that cable has three connectors (one for board and two for drives) then the end connector of the cable would be for master and the middle one would be for slave.

This arrangement only comes into effect when both drives attached to the ATA cable have their jumpers set to 'Cable Select'. I usually ignore cable select and always specify which is the master and which is the slave.

By the sound if things your new Seagate drive will be the only device on the secondary IDE channel (cable), so just make sure that you set it's jumper to master.

If you do this and the drive still isn't visible then it is almost certain that a BIOS change is needed, as per jmmijo's previous post. We'll cross that bridge if and when we need to. smile

EDIT - I've just checked the manual for your Dell and it appears that it only has 1 SATA port along with two ATA channels. As long as each entry under 'Drive Configuration' in the BIOS is set to AUTO you shouldn't have any problems.

It's also possible that Dell will not allow the configuration you want to use, i.e., up to (6)Six drives connected.

Last time I checked Dell uses a special OEM Intel motherboard with their own custom BIOS, most likely built on the Phoenix core like Intel boards are.

On most motherboards, even the Intel branded boards I've used, have an option for setting up Enhanced mode as this is the only way to utilize up to 6 drives. Also, it only works with Windows 2000/XP/2003. It may also work with various distros of *nix too but I can't say for sure as I've not tried this out wink

Originally posted by ross_aveling:

"By the sound if things your new Seagate drive will be the only device on the secondary IDE channel (cable), so just make sure that you set it's jumper to master."

Thank you, you got it, I was thinking the jumper needed to be set for slave because it was my second drive. Today I have learned that the master and slave applies to the channel. Once I switched that everything worked just like it is supposed to.

Thanks to everyone who replied. laugh