Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BartuC

Freezing up & Restarting

Hey wats doin, lately the past week ym computer is been screwing up alot. Its a AMD XP 2000+ processor, 40 gig hdd, Ati radeon 9800XT vid card etc. And for some reason my computer keeps freezing up or restarting by itself, now i thought it would of had been something to do with a virus so i reformatted my computer, now thats its reformatted i install norton antivirus and it dusnt work 'internal error' and the problem still consists. It always happens at random times, and also my computer wotn even start up soemtimes, turn it on and it just stops then sometime the screen goes blank goin 'over range' its really frusttrating me.

In general, if a machine has been operating fine and begins having random freezes and you have not installed any new software or drivers, you have a hardware problem. It could be excessive heat and your processor is shutting down; it could be a bad memory module which could also be heat related; it could be your video card is not seated properly or is not getting sufficient ventilation.

You didn't say whether after re-formatting your machine you installed all of the Windows updates. Norton's is peculiar about the updated version of Windows that is installed. However, my guess is that you have some bad memory.

Originally posted by Sampson:

Quote:
It could be excessive heat and your processor is shutting down; it could be a bad memory module which could also be heat related; it could be your video card is not seated properly or is not getting sufficient ventilation.

It could also be the power supply going bad.