Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Justbill

Internet History

Hi all,

I need to find out if there is a way to check where my kid has been going on the internet. He has figured out how to delete his history , by clicking on Go>History, then the drop down box opens, and he highlights and deletes his trail! Is there a way I can check on this elsewhere in the system? Maybe in a terminal? When he highlights and deletes, does that eliminate all trace of where he has been?

He had been going to some nude pics sites and some [censored], I told him if he did it anymore, he would not be using the computer anymore. But I don't want to push that on suspition, rather than proof!

I am running fc4, and we are using mozilla.

Thanks in advance

Justbill

You might want to use a keylogger or a trojan. I used to use Trojans many years back to monitor my own PC from school.

I don't know if he has figured out how to delete cookies, of course, I don't know how to delete them, or, check them. I wouldn't even know how to begin with a keylogger, or a trojan.

Justbill

I use Firefox, but the same should apply. Go to (in Mozilla),

Edit-->Preferences--> Cookies. If there are any suspicious cookies, delete them. Try this again after he has used the system. If you see suspicious cookies that most likely come from a [censored] site....

Thanks for the info guys! I cleared the cookies, and now I'll just watch and wait.

Thanks again

Justbill

Just a quick thought---cant you do something with permissions so that key files can't be deleted?

Or maybe, set up a script to mirror the key files to some hidden folder.

OR.......maybe take a different tack and set up some kind of honor system wherein the kid enters into a contract to follow your rules?

AND finally---keep in mind the old adage: Locks are for honest people (and alarms are a waste)---a pro is going to get your (car, boat, jewelry, etc.) no matter what you do.

Corollary--if he wants [censored], he is going find it--you can maybe slow him down, but you'll never stop him.