Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
s0l1d

No Audio with

I just installed Firefox 1.05 (from 1.04) on July 12. At the time, I have not installed the ActiveX plugin for Firefox. I was able to view some of the streaming windows media that doesn't require ActiveX, such as videos (news, etc) from my ISP's portal, Rogers Yahoo. I'm not completely sure, but SBC Yahoo might also have similar videos from their portal.

Anyway, I was able to view them just fine until Friday morning. I turned my computer on, login to the Rogers Yahoo portal, click the video link, the video starts to play, but there is no audio at all. I'm 100% sure that the morning of the previous day, July 14, I was able to play those videos with sound. I've tried restarting computer or reinstall Windows Media Player 10 and the same problem still exists. The weird thing is that only videos from Rogers Yahoo portal seems to have the no-audio problem. I haven't been to many other sites to test, but I did go on IGN and view same game videos in Windows Media and they play fine with sound.

This morning, I've also tried and followed the steps to install ActiveX plugin for Firefox and see if it might fix the problem. However, to my surprise, following the link for the ActiveX test (http://jrzycrim.sitesled.com/mozilla/wmp/wmpaxtest.html) produce similar problem. There's no sound in both audio mp3 and the wmv video on that test page. Then I tried making one more setting and tried Launch/Yahoo Music. Load and behold, it works completely with sound. This is both frustrating and weird that some audio is able to play and some do not.

Since it is Windows Media after all, Internet Explorer should be able to play them right? Wrong. Internet Explorer has the same problem at the same websites/pages I mentioned above. So after this test, I am convinced that the problem has something to do with plugin/codec rather than specific browser. However, I am still unable to pinpoint what is the cause of the problem.

Does anyone have any idea?

Never mind, I found out it was an audio filter I have that's been blocking the audio. Enabling it again and now it works fine.