Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mandym

Compatability question with Windows NT

I am interested in getting a USB flash drive for transporting files to and from work since it is quicker and cheaper than burning disks and more reliable than email (from the lousy computer network where I work anyway). I have Windows XP at home but WinNT at work and I haven't been able to find any flash disks that list compatability with NT. I am just taking word and excel documents and the occasional power point file so I am not looking for one that has a huge amount of storage (or a huge price tag). Anyone know of a good flash drive that works with both XP and NT?

Thanks

Did anyone ever answer your question? I too am looking for any portable/thumb/pen drive that will work with Windows NT. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Kendra

I'm pretty sure any flash drive that works with XP will work with NT. I have a 64 mb flash drive ($29.99) that I use with XP at home, and i've taken files home from work, which is on Windows NT. You guys should be fine no matter what thumb drive you can get. I can't even tell you what brand mine is, I don't have it in front of me. But it's nothing special, you guys will be fine. I even used it to transfer files from XP to Windows 98.

Can anyone else confirm this on a Windows NT 4 PC? If so, what is the brand of PC and the USB flash drive brand?

Otherwise, does anyone know a USB flash drive that has the drivers to allow it to work on a Windows NT 4 system either thru a USB port or serial port by way of an adapter?

Thanks.

Unless you can get very special drivers that go around the back of Windows to use the USB ports, you are right out of luck. NT4 does not officially support the following:

USB

Directx 3+

Republicans

Maybe, KillerHurtz, you could clarify your question. The thread is about flash drives working through USB ports and if there are such drives that will be recognized by NT. Apparently, there are such drives. However, once the files are transferred to the flash drive and as long as that flash drive is recognized as a device, the files are readable by Windows. There are two types of files formats for windwos FAT and NTFS. Generally, windows takes care of the "translation."

Are you asking if you can network NT and XP?

Originally posted by KillerHurtz:

will NT server work with XP???

Sure XP will work with NT server, NT server just makes a domain and XP will attach to a domain or Active Directory.

Works just fine

Les