Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
antiNeo

Which video card to get?

I'm looking to get a new video card, but after the struggles with my nForce chipset, I'm going to ask for suggestions before I jump into this. My qualifications are:

- Needs to be known for linux support, particularly mandravia

- Supports a 21" flat panel with moderate use of the gimp

- AGP 8X

- cheep as possible, something around $100

I guess it's really cheap, but I use an Nvidia FX5200, because I've never had a problem with it, it's low cost and it works just great with Mandriva. I'm using Mandriva 2005....but have also used the two previous versions of Mandrake. I also use LCD flat displays and I use GIMP, without any problems. Some people might have some better suggestions. I use the one with 128M of onboard RAM...and I run 1Gig of RAM on my system. I use this same setup on two computers here...and never have had a problem with either of them. I merely use the default driver in Mandriva.

Regards,

zenarcher

Nvidia realses a good driver for linux that works with pretty much any card. I have an old GeForce 4 that works realy well. The only potential problem with nvidia is with the much older cards which are no longer supported, none of these are sold any more as far as I know. So any nvidia card that is still sold should be fine.

I recomend Nvidia.

Not because I am particularly partial to Nvidia but because Nvidia make fairly decent linux drivers in comparison to ATI.

ATI drivers leave a lot to be desired.

I use the Fx5500 and it works great. Can play DOOM 3. I agree that nvidia makes great GNU/Linux drivers. The ATI drivers kinda suck. Too bad the nvidia drivers aren't FOSS.

Nvidia all the way. Once you get the accellerator drivers installed, it's easy to keep them updated by doing:

Code:
nvidia-installer --update