Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Justbill

Trying to install Qcad

This is an older package, designed to run under older versions of RedHat, but it does work.

First, I assume that you downloaded the demo version?

If you use KDE, open the file manager (the home icon on your desktop) and right click on the package. Then choose to "extract here." This should create the folder

qcad-2.0.4.8-1-demo.linux90.x86

You need the package compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-47.fc4.i386.rpm, to get the old compatible libraries, which can be found here.

Click on one of the download links and allow Fedora to install the package.

Then get into the qcad directory in Konqueror. Choose in the menu, Tools-->open terminal.

type in the terminal window,

./qcad_demo

I'm using Gnome, I can switch to KDE if I have to, will it still work under Gnome?

Justbill

Don't know if Gnome works the same way to extract a .gz file easily, but the package should work, once the directory is created.

You can extract the gz file by doing;

tar -zxvf qcad-2.0.4.8-1-demo.linux90.x86.tar.gz

This should extract the files into the above named directory. Then you should be set to move to that directory and invoke the startup command.

gnome will extract in he same basic way from the file manager. just right click on the file and choose extract here and file roller will kick in and do the dirty work.

OK fellas, this is where I'm at:

[bill@68 ~]$ tar -zxvf qcad-2.0.4.8-1-demo.linux90x86.tar.gz

tar: qcad-2.0.4.8-1-demo.linux90x86.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory

tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

tar: Child returned status 2

tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

[bill@68 ~]$ ./qcad_demo

bash: ./qcad_demo: No such file or directory

[bill@68 ~]$

I'm not really having any luck here.

The package "compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-47.fc4.i386.rpm" is installed, but I can't get any further with this, in KDE or Gnome

Justbill

Well I got to play with Qcad a little, it was quite a project getting to it, Here is what I had to do to get there:

[bill@68 ~]$ cd qcad-2.0.4.8-1-demo.linux90.x86.tar.gz_FILES

[bill@68 qcad-2.0.4.8-1-demo.linux90.x86.tar.gz_FILES]$ ls

qcad-2.0.4.8-1-demo.linux90.x86

[bill@68 qcad-2.0.4.8-1-demo.linux90.x86.tar.gz_FILES]$ cd qcad_2.0.4.8-1-demo.linux90.x86

bash: cd: qcad_2.0.4.8-1-demo.linux90.x86: No such file or directory

[bill@68 qcad-2.0.4.8-1-demo.linux90.x86.tar.gz_FILES]$ ./qcad_demo

bash: ./qcad_demo: No such file or directory

[bill@68 qcad-2.0.4.8-1-demo.linux90.x86.tar.gz_FILES]$ cd qcad-2.0.4.8-1-demo.linux90.x86

[bill@68 qcad-2.0.4.8-1-demo.linux90.x86]$ ls

bin doc examples fonts library patterns qcad_demo qm README scripts

[bill@68 qcad-2.0.4.8-1-demo.linux90.x86]$ ./qcad_demo

I was kind of hoping this would install in such a way like "Kover" did, in accessories. Is it possible?

Justbill

Is it possible to create a symbolic link in /home/bill/ so that I can just open my home and then click on the link to open qcad?

Justbill

[Edited by Justbill on 2005-07-08 18:11:51]

Duh, that was kind of a dumb question! I typed before I thought!

I got it where I wanted it! thanks to all thaat helped with this! My next project will be burnning Qcad to a cd and installing it on a machine that is not connected to the internet. He is running CentOs 4.1, I wonder if I will have to download compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-47.fc4.i386.rpm, for qcad to work on CentoS 4.1 ( obviously it would be the version for CentOs, if it needs it).

Thanks Again

Justbill