Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Justbill

Lets get My Scanner Working

I have a HP 1315 psc, I have tried to get it going using "Kooka", in FC4. So far.....nothing, and I'm puzzled as to how to get it going! The printer works great! FC4 detected the printer, and had a driver for it. Kooka will open, but that is as far as it goes. I can't import an image, it does nothing when I click "select scan device".

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Justbill

Don't know what Kooka is...

You need some kind of scanner driver---eg SANE or VueScan. SANE is free, and VueScan is available as a free trial. According to their website, PSC 1315 is aupported. I have not checked SANE.

-Mark

I've always had good luck with SANE, as well. I don't know much about the PH1315 PSC, but here's a consideration. I have the HP T45 PSC, which is an older one. It worked great with Mandriva 2005LE, but does not scan with SUSE 9.3. Everything works fine on it, except the scan function with SANE. Reading about the drivers, when going to the scanner setup, I found that SUSE has two HP drivers. By default, it installs the new driver, which doesn't work for scanning, with my older HP. I didn't bother to change it, since I'm planning to get a new HP PSC. But, if I read correctly, you have to use the other HP driver, which is included. Also, I think you have to remove the newer driver and install the older driver. You cannot have them both trying to run at the same time. Maybe someone knows more about this than I do....but that is how I understood the situation when I looked at printer and scanner device installation in SUSE 9.3. In your situation, the wrong HP PSC driver may be installed.

Regards,

zenarcher

You need HPOJ to and xsane to scan with hp psc.

The HP scanner can't be found with the usual scanning

drivers. Use gimp to scan and save then use kooka to

process the images.

When you setup the printer,the scanner is setup with it.

I'll have to look at something and get back to you.

You may have to turn on hpoj in one of the kernal files.

I'm thinking fstab but not sure.Anyway the line you will

be looking for is probably "HPOJ =off" If you setup your psc

with hpijs,You'll have to change that to "HPOJ = on".

Try reading this http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-PSC_1310

Oh,yeah it's either sane or xsane you need to edit to turn on

HPOJ.

Reading the above link suggests two or three drivers that work with different distros. Some distros need hpoj for scanning and

hpijs for printing.Some just need hpijs.Also ,you may have to

install hpoj and get your scanner working then install hpijs to

get your printer working.(Don't know why but on some systems you

have to get your scanner working with hpoj first then install hpijs for printing.For some obscure reason the scanner won't set

up with hpijs installed on some systems.)

Hi,

Had similar problems when I went from suse9.2 to 9.3 and couldn't remember what I did before to get the scanner up and running. Just rediscovered it so should apply with your case.

Basically make sure your drivers are installed ie. hpoj etc

Then >

#su

password

#

$ptal-init setup

Just go thru and select at the prompts how you have it connected, eg. parallel connected...., usb connected...., JetDirect device... etc after that I think you will find eveything comes together

Regards.

Regards,

Ian.

~~~

"@|@"

^

"...Intelligent people don't call people stupid!

-only stupid people, call other's stupid!..."

"...If you want something done well!

-leave it in the microwave overnight!..."

Hello!

No luck with the scanner yet! I tried ptal-init setup, and it looked like it worked, but still, no scanner! My printer has been working with the hpaio driver, do I need to un-install that driver before I try to install the hpoj driver?

Thanks

Justbill

Have a look at-

http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/hplip_readme.html

If your pinter is the "HP photosmart 1315"? mentions that scan is not available with the newer hplip etc . try the older hpoj and see if you 'luck' in. its quiet a good read if you haven't seen it yet.

Regards,

Ian.

~~~

"@|@"

^

WOW! What a read!

Thanks for the info, I think I may just wait for SUSE10.0 final to come out, and see if it just works with that. Right now, my printer works fine, I just can't scan. As confusing as that read was for me, I'm concerned I will mess up and lose my abillity to print. I think it was telling me , I need to uninstall the hpaio driver, and install the new hplip driver. Oh well, I think I'm gonna just live with it the way it is (OK call me a coward).

Justbill

I'm right there with you, Justbill. I'm waiting for SUSE 10.0, next month, as well. My old HP T-45 has the same problem...I can print, but I can't scan with SUSE 9.3. I'm probably going to go ahead and buy a new HP multi-function printer, since this one is so old, anyway.

zenarcher

Justbill, I know your using FC4. But on the Suse hardware site your HP1315psc is covered (HP PSC 1300 series).> http://cdb.novell.com < and with suse 9.3 full supported. (with the backend = hpaio.)

Did the script 'ptal-init setup' list your scanner as detected at the end? if it did I think you are very close.

Zenarcher, with my old all-in-one hpD155xi YAST would stup the printer all o.k, but always failed when using it to set up the scanner. when I runned 'ptal-init setup' (see previous post) it all came together, give it a go before before upgrading.

have you tried the older hpoj driver? in lieu of the hplip(hpaio)

have a look at > http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2005/03/jsmeix_scanner-setup-93.html < under 'Changes Concerning Scanner drivers'

"..... The previous HP scanner driver "hpoj" for HP all-in-one devices is still available. This driver requires the "ptal" service; see "Set up an HP OfficeJet ("all-in-one" device)" . The ptal and hplip services are mutually exclusive, as ptal occupies the device for itself, thereby preventing hplip from accessing the device. On the other hand, HPLIP does not yet support devices connected to the parallel port. Accordingly, if you have an HP all-in-one device which cannot be connected to the USB port, the scanner driver hpoj with the ptal services must be used for all HP all-in-one devices. Despite this limitation, it is better to make HPLIP available to a wide user base at this stage (0.x version), instead of waiting until support for non-USB devices is implemented........"

Regards,

Ian.

~~~

"@|@"

^

Justbill,

Here you go! came across this from a gentleman from beligum and it's titled "How To Install A HP PSC 1315 All-In-One." sound familiar? hope it helps. > http://www.belgeler.linux-sevenler.org/70_412_en.html <

Regards,

Ian.

~~~

"@|@"

^

Zenarcher,

Here's some info for your HP T-45 > http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-OfficeJet_T45 < hpoj driver, and see my previous post about YAST in 9.3 not detecting the scanner correctly. Printer was fine. (It may be one physical device but linux(suse) looks at each item.)

Regards,

Ian.

~~~

"@|@"

^

Thanks much for the information, Ian. I know the T-45 worked perfectly with Mandriva 2005....just encountered the problem with SUSE 9.3. I don't know what to expect with SUSE 10.0, as I will get that as soon as it's released. I'll check out the information in the link you suggest and maybe I can get the scanner going for the T-45.

Regards,

zenarcher

Thanks Zenarcher,

With your printer setup etc. and with > hpoj drivers installed < try the command > ptal-init setup < (see previous post.) follow that thru and see how that goes. good luck.

Ian.

~~~

"@|@"

^

I gave that a try, Ian and yes, it does work! I can then open XSANE and scan a document! I cannot print, after that, but if I reboot the system, it will come back up and print. If I want to scan again, I have to open a terminal and enter the command and go through the setup. Not a real problem, as at least I know how to do it now and scan. If the printer is working, XSANE says it can't find a scanner. If I enter the command in a terminal (as su) I can then scan, but nothing happens if I try to print. Under printers, when I try to print, I have two shown officejettseries and officejettseries1.

Regards,

zenarcher

Hi Zenarcher,

might have a problem with both hpoj and hplip on the same system depending on how your device is connected (ref: > http://hpoj.sourceforge.net/ < ) try just using the hpoj for both, I know hplip is the prefered newer, but to get both devices happy (at the same time) try just soley the hpoj.

good luck

Regards,

Ian.

~~~

"@|@"

^

Nice work guys! Or...you can try SuSE 10 beta 2 or RC1 now and see if it works. 8)

I think you may be right about that, Ian....as the HP T-45 is connected by the parallel port. I'll try removing hplip and see if that takes care of the problem.

danleff, I'm really looking forward to SuSE 10.0. Think I'll wait until next month, for the release and give it a go them. My Linux skills aren't such that I feel too comfortable with the Beta's. I think the regular SuSE 10.0 is supposed to be released on 6 October. At least this time, even doing a clean install, I'm pretty confident about setting up my SATA RAID0 array with it. Works fine with SuSE 9.3. First time I've actually been able to get it to work with any distro.

I also have a couple of glitches with Gnome Games in 9.3. SameGnome will not allow you to save high scores. Until that works, there's no way I'm going to convince my wife to switch from Mandriva 2005 to SuSE!:)

Regards,

zenarcher

I think you will like the new SuSE release. I am using the beta 2 version. No problems yet. Until October 6th...

Hi guys!

I am also REALLY looking forward to SUSE 10.0! I'm hoping that a few things will be different in 10.0. Like the situation with the scanner driver. Also, the other day I tried to install the game "maelstrom", which installed with no problem in FC4, but I had no luck with SUSE 9.3. I downloaded the RPM, right clicked on it, and selected "open with Yast" and nothing happened. I then opened a shell, and chmod a+x , and tried ./maelstrom.whateveritwas.rpm.bin and nothing. So with the permissions changed, I tried "open with Yast" again, and still nothing. Stuff like this is what I hope works a little better. I am considering, if they offer 10.0 as a purchase online to buy it instead of just downloading the free version, my hope is to be able to get some support from Novell, and that there will be a little more in the "for sale" version. That would be a truly different experience for me, if EVERYTHING just worked from the get go.

Justbill