Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bikkie7

Slow PC

hello Sir,

my pc is very slow. i hav microsoft windows xp professional 2002,

my RAM size is 128 mb, processor (intel celron) 1700 mz and 40 GB

hard drive capacity. i increased virtual memory 600-650, but it is still

slow. if u hav any soluation to speed up my pc then plez tell me......

128Mb is a small amount of memory to run XP - it prefers 256Mb, if not 512Mb and upwards...

Increasing virtual memory won't really help, since XP will still be using this excessively - and disk access is always slow compared to RAM access smile

I would put at least another 128Mb of RAM, if not another 256Mb. Try Crucial to find out which type of memory you need - you can search by system or motherboard manufacturer.

Actually, 128 MB is quite enough for XP, though it's better to have 256 or even 512. Viruses and spyware might be the cause. Do you scan regulary? You should also get rig of unnecessary resident programs to increase free memory space. You can use RegCleaner or something like that (possible just to delete all autostartuping programs manually - from Startup and from WinRegistry using RegEdit).

Originally posted by fpin:

Quote:
Actually, 128 MB is quite enough for XP, though it's better to have 256 or even 512. Viruses and spyware might be the cause. Do you scan regulary? You should also get rig of unnecessary resident programs to increase free memory space. You can use RegCleaner or something like that (possible just to delete all autostartuping programs manually - from Startup and from WinRegistry using RegEdit).

Actually although it may run on 128mb, to just say it is enough is way off base. you want at least 512MB to run xp. While he should still scan for what you mentioned it is far more likely that this is a ram issue.

S

Hi, I just bought my laptop a few weeks ago n a few days ago i tried to install The Sims 2. And my computer became slower n slower. I dunno much bout computers so i hope u guys can help me out here. I wan to go into a website n my computer was very slow like my old computer, and all of the sudden the computer asked me to install a spyware. here's wat it says:

"Your computer's been slow lately maybe your computer's been detected by spies! Do you want to install the Spyware? Scan your computer for free."

and when i wanted to click no it kept appearing and doesnt let me cancel it. I thought it was an advertisment but it seems so real it happens when my computer is slow(very).

I really wanna noe wats wrong with my pc n my dad is shouting at me now n blaming me n stuff.(HELP!)

You've clearly been visited by some sort of trojan. If you have an anti-virus program whose definitions are pretty recent, you should run it now. If not, download AVG http://www.majorgeeks.com/AVG_Free_Edition_d886.html or Anti-vir http://www.majorgeeks.com/AntiVir_Personal_Edition_d955.html and install one or the other of them and have them scan your machine. Then, download Ad-Aware http://www.majorgeeks.com/Ad-Aware_SE_Personal_d506.html , install it and run it. (It goes without saying that you should download the latest definitions if you can before you scan.)

After you have done that, there is no guarantee that you got everything. Download, install and run Hijackthis http://www.majorgeeks.com/HijackThis_d3155.html . It will report to you all of the processes that have been loaded on your machine. You can post that report back here. There are several guys who are expert at reading it and telling you what is a virus and what is a legitimate process. In the meantime, you can look many of these up yourself by searching for the .dll or .exe you find on Google.

But i ardy hav the anti-virus software. but i dunno how to scan my computer. Can u teach me how?

Linda_92, Just run the Nortons and have it scan your computer. Norton's however will not always pickup spyware and some trojans. Download the programs above and install and run them.

You really, really need more RAM. Seriously, an upgrade to 256 or even 512 is less than $50 anymore. You can easily install it yourself. If you doubt your abilities click here to see a tutorial. It is easy as pie, and not expensive at all. Windows XP requires 128 just to run XP. Your Norton is demanding another 32 MB, so you are running on virtual memory as soon as you are fully booted!

tschrock. Linda wasn't the one who posted about having 128 megs. That was posted by bikkie, 8 months ago