Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JBoDEAN

Basic RAM questions

Hi guys.

Very elementary questions here, sorry.

1) Just got 256 megs of ram (from my previous 128megs) Just curious where I will see noticeable improvements in win2k.

2) How will my games run better with 256megs over 128 megs ram? Say, Flight Sim 2000, Unreal Tourny, Quake 3, etc?

------------------

BoDEAN

http://www.sammyhagar.net

Everything will run better with more ram.....

unreal ram smoother when i went to 256 from 128....windows overall got smoother etc...if you can afford it(since ram is coming down now)Buy even more. I have 384.

More ram is always better, but it depends what you use it for.

If you never run more than one program at a time, you don't really need more than 128 Mb. More ram lets you run multiple applications without slowing down.

If you're like me, and like to leave several apps running and many windows open on the desktop, you'll notice snappier performance with more memory.

Memory intensive apps like Photoshop will also run much smoother.

Win2K and NT 4 are also memory hogs compared to Win9x. Minimum for these two operating systems for serious gaming or professional apps is 192 Mb in my opinion.

You will NOT see more framerates, generally, with more ram (depends on the game). Ram helps indirectly because it prevents disk thrashing - this is when the OS moves data stored in RAM temporarily to the swap file (or paging file for Win2K/NT) when it runs low on RAM.

I've been told Q3A is a memory hog and does slightly improve in performance with more RAM, but I can't confirm that.

------------------

---

The Flying Penguin smilehttp://voodooextreme.com/flypenguin

[This message has been edited by FlyingPenguin (edited 23 February 2000).]

Great help guys! Thanks a lot....I know a lot about computers, and more ram is good, just wasnt sure with respct to games =)

So I guess I dont have to close all my programs to run q3 and UT now? Like NAV, ICQ, AOL IM , etc =)

------------------

BoDEAN

http://www.sammyhagar.net

hey look at that Flying P man is here good to see ya smile Iv seen u over on agn a lot.

PS talkigna bout RAm Iv got 3 boxs here and it jsut hit me Iv got 1.2 gigs of ram floating around in my room smile I wish I had enough slots on my main comp to throw them all in there smile

i've got an amd k6-2 500 and voodoo3. i don't tend to run many intensive apps at the same time and when i play games i close almost all of them down to improve performance. at the moment i've got 128 sdram pc100 and getting more, the only thign is how much? i've seen afew benchmarks and there isn't much difference in games and apps (on a single cpu) between 192 and 256ram, do people agree with this or should i go for the 256? i no it would make my computer more future proof, but seeing as i'll be needing an athlon when i can afford it and also with RAMBUS memory predicted to come down in price and challenge sdram price wise, is it still worth getting 256 over 192 ram?