Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BARTICLE

More sound probs

:P Here I thought I had my problems with the sound card worked out. That is, it seemed to be working ok with Mandrake 10.1. Then I upgraded to Limited Edition 2005. The sound worked even better - I finally got the system bell to ring. Then I downloaded and installed the bug fixes & upgrades. Now there's no sound at all. I have tried changing sound drivers. Alsamixer doesn't seem to be there. The Kmix icon keeps saying "muted" even though "Mute" is not checked. I don't have a clue where to go from here, unless it's installing a new sound card. Any suggestions?

Originally posted by barticle:

Quote:
Now there's no sound at all. I have tried changing sound drivers. Alsamixer doesn't seem to be there. The Kmix icon keeps saying "muted" even though "Mute" is not checked.

What do you mean that you changed the sound drivers? Could you explain more? Are you using the onboard sound on the motherboard, or a PCI card?

By any chance, did you upgrade the kernel?

When I go to "configure hardware," I find two sound drivers listed - a default and an alternate. I tried both. I'm using the sound chip built into the motherboard. I assume that when I upgraded from Mandrake 10.1 to Limited Edition the kernel was upgraded, but I could be wrong. I'm wondering about using a PCI sound card, just so I could be certain what driver to use?