Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
misaal9

Password on harddrive?

i have a very annoying sister (who likes to delete all my files whenever she gets angry). is there any way to put a password on a hard drive?

if not, then is here any way to password protect my files on a drive? (i have tried winzip and secureIT, but it makes a copy of yur original, and becomes very tedious coz every time you have to unzip songs and delete them again, etc).

(continued....)

i recently read an article where it says that in winxp/2000, the user can create something like a link between one drive (drive c) and another (drive d) in case there is no space left on drive c by creating a folder in drive d and following some procedure....(its a loooong procedure) to create the link. the system then treats this "folder" as its own system folder (ie as a part of drive c itself).

now users (limited account users) cannot access files that are in other password protected accounts (C: \Documents and Settings\User1).

can i then convert my own folder into one of the sytem folders so tht u need password to open it?

((in case u need any kind of explantion to this problem, lemme know, i'll gladly explain it all over again))

You will need to set up profiles in your users accounts. Set yourself up with your own name and give yourself full Administrative privileges and password your logon. You can then delete the Administrators account if you like or give it a password. Then, set your sister up with her own Account with limited privileges such that you exclude her access to certain programs and subdirectories and give her the password to her account.

On the other hand, if she is accessing your machine through a peer to peer network, you can easily make any directories on your system shareable with a password.

i was wondering ....will this technique work if i create a password on my account which is ALSO a limited account?

can a limted account user view the contents of another password protected limited user account?

(i prefer keeping my account limites as well)

If it is your computer, and you have an account for yourself and a nosy sister, I really don't understand why you don't password your account, but it doesn't make sense to make your own account less than the privileges of an Administrator. As long as you have an Administrator account that is not passworded (or eliminated), anyone would be able to get into your system.

But, to answer your question, an account with an Administrator's privileges can do pretty much what they want. Once an account is set up and passworded, it depends what privileges you have assigned to that account. You could exclude her from using certain programs and accessing certain directories. If your own account does not have the privileges of the Administrator, to limit her, you would have to login as Administrator everytime you wanted to exclude her use of the computer.