Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
hanif

Help me in installing Geforce MX 4000 (AGP)

Hello,

I bought a GeForce MX 4000 AGP card but when i installed its drivers provided in the CD given with the card..my PC doesnt start properly in both 98 and XP...

when i installed the drivers restart the PC a black screen comes n then monitor either hangs or shut down on its on n then i have to restart in safe mode n then uninstall the drivers..

In 98 i cant change the color settings above 16 colors..

Im really tryin for 3-4 days now but of no use...

plzz tell me wht to do n yaa wht changes shld i make in BIOS..

Now, I don't like telling people what they bought is bad, so I'm not going to chew you out. But I WILL say that the GF4 MX series is seriously under par compared to just about anything. Even a GeForce 3.

Now, onto your problem. Honestly, with AGP, it could literally be anything. In order to help you more, you need to tell us all here what your a) CPU type & speed is (in the case of P4, need to know if it's a s478 or LGA775), b)Motherboard brand & chipset. Also, is this system one you put together yourself? Is it a store-bought one? A pre-built Dell/IBM/HP/Compaq? Details man, details.

hey sorry to reply late,Shadow64Bt..I was trying to install on both 98 n XP and fortunately i did install it on 98 by removing all my old drivers completely but i couldn install it still on XP..

U asked me about the details..here r they.

I got :

P4 1.6 Ghz

Intel i845 chipset

Motherboard is of Microtek

an AGP slot supportin AGP2.0 includin 4X

Mine is an assembled PC which i bought from my vendor...

Are these details enough or should i tell u more...

plzz let me know..n plzz reply

Sorry about the wait hanif, I've been away for the last few weeks, anyways, just out of curiosity, did your computer run off an onboard video? If so, make sure it's disabled in your BIOS, also, check Intel's website for new drivers for your motherboard's chipset, and also look for an upgraded BIOS image, I'm pretty sure they've released quite a few. And I would recommend you stick with one OS for now until you get everything working, so try to get it all working with Windows XP, as newer and better functioning drivers are available for it. That's all I can think of right now, trying to get over a stupid head cold, and I'm waiting for my X850 XT to arrive :P.

Good luck, and let me know how it turns out.

Originally posted by Shadow64Bt:

Quote:
Now, I don't like telling people what they bought is bad, so I'm not going to chew you out. But I WILL say that the GF4 MX series is seriously under par compared to just about anything. Even a GeForce 3.

Now, onto your problem. Honestly, with AGP, it could literally be anything. In order to help you more, you need to tell us all here what your a) CPU type & speed is (in the case of P4, need to know if it's a s478 or LGA775), b)Motherboard brand & chipset. Also, is this system one you put together yourself? Is it a store-bought one? A pre-built Dell/IBM/HP/Compaq? Details man, details.

I'm having the same exact problem, system turns black when I try starting Windows XP with the MX 4000 in, after installing the drivers. So you can help me, I have a Dell Dimension 2400, Windows XP, 256 mb RAM, 40Gig, and I'm not sure what Video Card the computer comes with, if any, or how to remove it. I was told, however, that Dellc omputers are impossible to do anything to, so I had to talk to a dell rep to install it, and I did what they said but then Windows wouldn't start after I put it in and isntalled the drivers. If you need any more info before helping, let me know. Thanks

Did you first uninstall the onboard drivers? If so, trying going into your BIOS (usually by hitting the DEL key repeatedly until you hear a small click and a blue screen with white/red words comes up. Navigate through these options and choose to disable the onboard graphics. Save and Exit. Shut down PC, install the new video card and it should boot to windows normally. It will tell you that XP found new hardware and ask to install drivers. Choose to install them from the CD and you should be on your way!