Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BluSyko

X850XT PE -Or- 6800 Ultra/GT

With the above cards in mind, which one would be best in terms of quality and value?

I just got my first job (I'm 16) and I'm getting my paycheck in 2 weeks... I make $13 an hour working 75 hours per 2 weeks... So that should be more than enough to buy any of the above cards.

My current system specs are:

Prebuilt HP M1080N:

WINXP PRO Media Center 2004 W/ SP2

Intel P4 3.2ghz HT 540

250GB SATA HDD

2x256 PC3200 RAM (Upgrading soon to a total of 1gb)

6600GT PCI-e

DVD-RW

DVD-ROM

(Adding a SB Audigy 2 ZS Gamer Edition soon)

So, with that information, which card should I buy? The X850XT PE, 6800 Ultra, or 6800 GT?

I mostly play FPS's like HL2, CS:S, Far Cry, RS:3, and I'm also going to get BF2...

Thanks in advance to any input...

IMO, I'd stick with the 6600GT, as the new ati series will be out soon wink

But if u really must have one of those 2, just google for some benchmark tests, there'll be plenty on CSS and HL2 (sry for no link, got an exam in about 10 minutes 8) )

I concur with Malaris; if you can, wait it out until the next high-end ranges are released by ATI and nVidia. Then evaluate them both at that time to make your decision.

Having said that, if you really want to get one now and seeing as you play a lot of Source based games perhaps you should get the 6800 Ultra as it supports Shader Model 3.0. Having SM3.0 would help a great deal when Valve release the forthcoming HDR updates for HL2 and [eventually] CS. Also, as far as I'm aware, Far Cry can use SM3.0 now.

Shader Model 3.0 support won't be seen on ATI cards until they release their new super-duper cards based on the R520 chip (currently codenamed Fudo).

Ok cool thanks guys. I've tried to read up about the G70 and RV520 chipsets, but I just cannot find any good information about them...

Then I guess I'll just wait it out... it would be a good X-Mas gift... not to mention it would be free laugh .

Also, about SM 3.0... What difference does it make? I have a 6600GT and that supports SM 3.0, but my friend has a Radeon 9800 Pro which doesn't support SM 3.0 and I don't see any difference between his HL2 and my HL2, although for some reason, Far Cry looks a lot nicer on his computer. And his computer has a slower processor, but he has 256mb more ram than I do...

Yes, info is a little thin on the ground at the mo, but there are some G70/R520 specs here.

As for SM3.0, it primarily allows for far more complex lighting/texturing effects. It improves upon the existing technolgies in SM2.0 (apparently without a performance hit) and introduces new techniques for far greater realism.

I'm no expert so here's a couple of links to articles from people who are :);

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/winhec/partners/shadermodel30_NVIDIA.mspx

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjA5

SM3.0 isn't as yet in HL2. Valve will be releasing a new (free laugh ) chapter that will contain loads of improved graphical features (high dynamic range lighting for starters) which use SM3.0. It's called Lost Coast and should be released pretty soon (although many are speculating that Valve are waiting for ATI to release the R520).

Only Lost Coast will have the new SM3.0 support, but it's thought that Valve will add it to the entire game eventually.

As for Far Cry, are you both running with exactly the same quality settings?

if u ever make the/a leap to linux youll find that nvidia plays a lot better and youll get better performance.

If you need ideas about what to spend your forthcoming earnings on then maybe you could look at a raid setup on your disks.... wouldnt get too excited about sata2 just yet, however a simple 2 disk stripe would add a fair bit of performance for not much money.

smile

via vid cards best card for the money is the x800 xt pe. there isnt a vid card in the world that can beat it keep in mind you need a 3.0 cpu intel or higher to use the full use of this vid card.

i have 1 myself only agp and no one i no can come close to my scores i have recently upgraded to the 3.4 ee intel and my vid card marks went up again with no overclock aquamark 3 gfx 12000 cpu 12000 and thats not shuting down programs if so would be a lot higher mind you my power supply is lacking have new one comeing 680

watt so should be higher. yes get the ati X800 xt peor x850 xt pe if you can