Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rkircher

Mount: only root can do that

I'm using SuSE 9.0 and cannot mount a USB Flash Memory (thumb drive) from a console using using the command: mount -t auto /dev/sda1 /media/sda1. This command works fine as a root user. All my directories are owned by me (not root) with full privledges and I've got the owner set to 'user' in /etc/fstab. Anybody know what I can do to fix this problem?

What does your entry for this device in /etc/fstab look like? I suspect that it should look something like this:

/dev/sda1 /media/sda1 auto noauto,users 0 0

Then you should be able to mount it simply with the command:

mount /dev/sda1

Another possible problem is that the mount command may be set to run only for root. To set mount to run as user type( as root):

chmod +s /bin/mount

chmod +s /bin/umount

Then it should work as user.

Thanks taeuler, but I still cannot mount as a User, it only mounts as root.

My fstab line is:

/dev/sda1 /media/sda1 auto sync,noauto,user,exec 0 0 #HOTPLUG B3Fu.p1a3eP+6Hk5

I have tried this line in fstab and SuSE always adds back the original line anyway on boot-up when the thumb drive is plugged in. However, this line in fstab does NOT work as a user, but does works as root:

/dev/sda1 /media/sda1 auto rw,noauto,user 0 0

The mount command may still be the problem tho. Here is what happens with your change to mount priviledges:

ll /bin/mount (before change)

-rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 77488 2003-10-02 13:18 /bin/mount

chmod +s /bin/mount

ll /bin/mount (after change)

-rwsr-sr-x 1 root root 77488 2003-10-02 13:18 /bin/mount

How do I change the last 'x' to 's' for the world? When I'm a User my group is not root so that may still be the problem.