Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tdawson79

Stupid Question - why wont Mandrake conect to the internet through my ADSL route

Im really new to Networking and Mandrake so this is a really stupid question but why wont mandrake conect to the internet through my BT Voyager 205 ADSL Router?

I have set up a lan network connection using DHCP between the computer and the router and they seem to be talking nicely however i was under the impression the router did all the rest of the work for me and would connect to the internet just like that!

What am i suppose to write for the host name and DNS server? and am i suppose to write anything for the HTTP and FTP proxy setting?

Im on line with BT broadband but when it comes to Linux their customer support in non existant!

I know these are dumb questions but please if any one could help me get on line i will buy you a pint when you are in the area.

Cheers guys

T

BT Voyager 205 ADSL Router? <----You mean BT Voyager 205 ADSL MODEM, right?

Well, I just checked the web and I think you might be right. It is a router. I'm not so much familiar with that brand, but it shouldn't matter.

How's you network setup?

Internet (dsl/cable) -> Cable/dsl modem -> Router -> Computer?

If it's setup as the last line above, then are you dual booting? Meaning that if you booting windows and Linux in the same box.

If you are dual booting, and since some routers are made to be configured with windows, then I would boot your computer under windows first and reconfigure it from there. Once configured then the router doesn't care what operating system you are using and it will give internet access to as many as it can support.

However, if you're doing this with Linux because it is your only choice then there are different apps that you could also use to configure your router under linux.

I haven't configured a router under linux in a while, but I know you can also do it through telnet if your router supports telnet.

You would open a terminal window (konsole, eterm, etc.) and telnet to 192.168.1.1 (usually, which is your router). Once there you would give enter the information for your ISP's DNS, IP's, etc.

Here check out this link for more info.