Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
swirl086

Computer doesn't recognise it can burn CDs all of a sudden.

Hello

I use Windows XP, and I've always been able to burn CDs as it is installed into the CD drive. However, now whenever I use Windows Media Player 10 to burn CDs, it says "No CD or DVD burner has been detected".

This is odd as the computer still plays CDs and CDroms, but it just doesn't recognise that it can burn CDs.

I have tried Microsoft's troubleshoot help which directed me to run "regedit", but nothing was wrong there and it hasn't helped.

I was just wondering if anyone could help me. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

(apologies if this should be in the Software forum - i wasn't sure).

Before you reinstall the device try this:

Open My Computer. Rightclick your CD-R(W) drive and select Properties, select tab named Recording. Tick "Enable CD recording on this drive", if it is not ticked. OK.

If this does not help, then do as American Zombie suggested:

On the Device Manager, open the "DVD/CD-ROM drives", then rightclick your CDR(w) drive and select "Uninstall". OK. Reboot.

Yeh the "enable recording on this device" box was already ticked. Thanks for your help...but where is Device Manager? (and how do I reboot? is that just restarting?) haha :s

Right click 'my computer', select properties

Under the 'hardware' tab select device manager.

Have you recently updated to sp2?

"I've always been able to burn CDs as it is installed into the CD drive."

Are you trying to burn or rip?

yes I have recently updated to S2 cos of all these problems getting Direct X 9.0c.

I'm trying to burn (write) CDs, which I've always been able to do.

isn't it dangerous to uninstall my CD drive? After I reboot, do I have to install it again or will it be recognised? Im worried about what effect this could have.