Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Wadsy

Windows 2000 Loves IRQ-9

Hi all,

I have a system that for some reason likes to assign all my devices the same IRQ. If in the bios i force the hardware to certain IRQ's, Windows still uses IRQ9 for all of these devices:

Geforce DDR

Vortex 2 (MX300)

Realtek Network Card

USB.

It wouldnt bother me if everything worked correctly, but it doesnt. THe sound card on bootup will play the startup sound for a bit then stop. I then have no sound for the rest of that windows session. Everything else works fine, USB device, network and the geforce runs all the games very very well, be it with no sound. PLEASE HELP.

I have the following hardware:

ASUS P3VX4

ASUS Geforce DDR

Diamond MX300

Realtek NIC

Any ideas on how to make this machine get everything to work and get off IRQ9, even though 5,7,10,11 are not being used at ALL by anything.... why is it so?

Cheers

Wadsy

I have played with that repeatedly and still no go. The same config works perfect under Win98, but 2k aint liking me at the moment.

HI,

Maybye you should try to move physically your soundcard to another PCI slot.

hope this helps smile

------------------

Config:

Dual celeron 400 on BP6

128 Mo SDRAM PC 100

Rage fury 32Mo, SB Live Player

IBM 20Go U66,DVD A103S,Yamaha 4*4*16*: IDE

Win2000 Final

One of my Win2K systems uses IRQ 11 for VGA, Network, PCI sound and USB. Only the "ACPI-Compliant System" uses IRQ 9. Everything works ok, even with PnP OS Enabled in the BIOS.

See if you can get a BIOS update or comment from ASUS.

Try loading the BIOS/setup defults and/or re-flashing your BIOS.

Abit BF6, unlocked PII 333 @ 350 (2.5x140FSB for testing of high FSB speeds), CL GeForce SDR, 256Mb SDRAM, MX300, Intel 10/100 NIC, WD 13Gb 7200rmp IDE, Pioneer DVD, Windows 2000 Pro...

550 CuMine at 733+ here I come!

I have the same board and HAD the same problem. The only way to get around this is to disable ACPI until they get it worked out. This involves a quick reinstall of Win2K over itself. When you get to the screen asking if you have any 3rd party SCSI drivers to install hit F6, you will want to hit F5. Pick "Standard PC". After it installs you'll have your IRQ's again smile

Use a different configuration of hardware. Put in a Creative PCI-128 and see if it uses a different IRQ.

Remove the MX300 and install a PCI-128. See what it does. Then try another MX300 to see if the card is faulty.

If it works with the PCI-128 and not the new MX-300 you know the VIA is a bucket.

Trying to post haven't seen it yet.

Take out the MX300 and install a PCI-128.

See if that changes the IRQ.

------------------

Johnny: see my above post.

I have a MX300 also and had the same problem with the sound cutting out after a second or two, it's definitely a IRQ conflict. Even after I had free IRQ's after switching to a standard PC I still had to switch slots until all the cards were happy. Now it works just fine. Now if only my new Viewsonic PF790 didn't have all this damn moire. Looks like it's going back frown

My PC used to love IRQ 11, untill a bios update, where its now not so bad! But still is bad enough for the tnt not to work.

See my system below:

To fix:

enter system properties and select device manager.

Select computer (the first one)

dbl click Advanced Configuration and Power Interface

Select driver/update/next/"select from list"

the install Standard PC.

Restart!

Usually this is a one way process wink

My PC:

FIC va-503+ 1.1b bios jk4324 11/11/99 (Via MVP3)

k6-2 450 (with I limiter disabled)

IRQ Number Device

9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System

9 Unsupported VIA USB Universal Host Controller

10 NVIDIA RIVA TNT

10 Hauppauge Win/TV 878/9 VFW Audio Driver

14 Primary IDE Channel

15 Secondary IDE Channel

11 Hauppauge Win/TV 878/9 VFW Video Driver

11 Realtek RTL8029(AS)-based PCI Ethernet Adapter

11 Creative AudioPCI (ES1371,ES1373) (WDM)

13 Numeric data processor

8 System CMOS/real time clock

12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse

1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard

3 Communications Port (COM4)

I still use ACPI cause i don't care about D3D, and the hibernate function is cool, NT4 opengl was always better anyway.

WADSY: Disable IRQ Steering. I know this is necessary for SBLIve and probably for MX300 also.

SBLive and MX300 both are prone to PCI IRQ Channel Sharing problems.

If disabling IRQ Sharing doesn't work, you may have to relocate the sound card. Go here for details: http://voodooextreme.com/flypenguin/glfaq5.htm#5_9

------------------

---

The Flying Penguin smile

http://voodooextreme.com/flypenguin