Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
captain17

Memory and Win2k

trying to get a feel on the optimum memory configuration for win2k. I just upgraded from 128 to 256meg and things definitely run better. Worth going any higher than 256?

96 works ok here, but i intend to upgrade someday.

if you have 128mb ram, point is don't worry about it until you need it.

i've noticed win2k can be better on memmory managment than win9x (not better on usage, it uses allot more) but it does seem more efficiant than on win98, and im running allot more programs at startup than i did on win98.

Buy more memory as soon as you can afford it - especially now when www.pricewatch.com has 128Mb PC100 for $64

Buy it while it's cheap...remember how much that same memory was 6 months ago? $200? $300?

I've got 384 right now, and another 128Mb is going in next week...

[This message has been edited by YuppieScum (edited 23 February 2000).]

Hey guys, where can I actually found some of those benchmark results for W2K with different memory sizes?

You guys are all nuts! =)

What the heck are you doing that you need >384MB??? The only people that I have seen that require that much memory are 3D Max professionals. I have 128, and Visual Studio, Office, DVD, games, everything runs fine. Granted I have some servers with 1GB+, but a machine serving a 200GB SQL database is hardly a typical activity for a workstation. My Open View management station only has 128.

Also, when you increase your memory, you increase the chances of a system crash. If you go from 128 to 384, you are three times more likely to suffer memory related system failure.

I know it sounds crazy, but the primary reason for memory problems is solar radiation. The greater amount of memory, the greater chance that radiation will corrupt a bit. ECC minimizes this, but most of the "el cheapo" memory from Pricewatch is not ECC.

Call it my daily rant wink Maybe I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Anyway, best rule of thumb; don't buy more than you really need. If you want to go over 128, try to find a decent justification. Don't go by the total listed in the task manager, look at the "physical memory" section. Available + System Cache = the total memory available for applications. Currently, my total usage is 130MB (of 128MB physical), yet I have 50MB of free physical memory.

DrSchmoe