Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
midjetville

n00b in need of help... Fedora Core 3, need to get a linksys wireless g card wor

Im runnning fedora core 3, its olny my second day (switched from windows xp) so i have no idea how to use terminal. my wireless card is a linksys wireless g, model # WRT54GS. Ive tried ndiswrapper and have no clue how to install it no matter how many guides i look at... anything easy and prefreably free i can do to get it working? (no internet on fedora till i get the card working) or would it be easier to just buy a compatible card?

thanks

If anyone can help PLEASE HELP! I'm in an exact situation. Using FC3 and stuck with a Wireless-G USB adapter. Still researching into how to get it up.

think i might have solved my roblem with linuxant. im installing the 30 day trial on my fedora computer as i type.

But it requires payment and I went to check the ndiswrapper site and it states that the Wireless-G USB adapter and PCI card works with ndiswrapper.

For a person new to Linux, or with little experience fooling with compiling apps. and such, the Linuxant driver is appealing. At only $30.00 USD, it is worth avoiding the headaches. If you decide to go for this driver, once you get comfortable with Linux, you can experiment.

Fedora Core 3 has an issue with ndiswrapper, as the default kernel is limited to 4 stacks. What this means, is that most Windows drivers (which is what you use to get your device worklng with ndiswrapper) requires the kernel to allow 8 or 16 stacks. This is commented out in Fedora 3, so you can't compile a custom Fedora kernel and change this option. Linuxant has a fixed custom Fedora kernel for this on their site. The issue you will run into is a lockup of your system when loading ndiswrapper.

The other option is to compile the kernel from source, but new users are usually not comfortable with doing this.

Fedora Core 4 will fix this. I just installed Fedora Core 4 test 3 on my system and the default kernel works fine with ndiswrapper. I have a how-to on my web page about this. It is somewhat technical, but you will get the idea.

I will be up[censored] the page to reflect the progress that I have made soon.

General Linux wireless.

Fedora Core 4 and ndiswrapper.

I see. Thanks for the advice. Btw, when's the final release date for FC4? Really looking forward to it.

The last that I looked, it was June 8 or 16. I can't remember which, but soon.

I did find the schedule here.

I suggest you download and install suse 10.0 it owns fc4, it will automatically configure your wireless card and driver for most cards i am sure it will work on a lynksys card since it worked on my atheros