Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
elvisvikic

PLEASE HELP me with wine

Ok... so i want to install diablo 2 expansion, i downloaded wine and i followed someones guide and when i click on the rmp to install, i click install with yast, i guess it all goes good it installs.

then i open up a console and i type in wineprefixcreate and it says cannot create directory `/root/.wine/dosdevices/c:/My Documents': No such file or directory

so iam wondering WTF. then the guide says type wine -version and it says Warning: the specified Windows directory L"C:\\Windows" is not accessible.

Warning: the specified System directory L"C:\\Windows\\System" is not accessible.

wine: cannot open (null)

so at this point iam like wow wtf linux is gay and cant run anything, iam running SuSe 9.1 if your wondering, and i tried plenty of wine versions. and it doesnt work. so iam wondering what is going on plz help me

Did you type "wine" into the terminal first straight after installing?

are u root for everything?

the first mistake i made with wine was installing the game as root then trying to run it from a user login

Well, here is what I would do. Using SuSE 9.1 I'd assume you're running KDE Right? Open a konsole for the commandline. type :

rpm -r wine

if that doesn't work go into yast's add and remove programs thingy and remove wine. Then surf over to www.winehq.org and try a different wine build that you were using. I'd recommend wine version 20040813 (I think thats it it might be 20040814) download the SuSE rpm and install it. Then open a konsole and type wineprefixcreate.

It should work now. The problem is that that was a bug in wine for a while, introduced in december, but has largely been fixed. Wine is a fantastic program but it is undergoing massive changes to the code right now, which is good, but can lead to pains for people such as yourself. It might also be worth trying to get a snapshot of cedega's free version. Cedega is a comercial version of wine tailored to running games. Diablo II runs quite well in wine, with my performance actually exceeding windows on the same machine, so it should all work for ya.

http://www.frankscorner.org/index.php?p=diablo2

try there. You can use basically the same instructions for the expansion as well. smile