Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
hachi_roku

Computer hangs at reboot

hi,

im a newb to this forum, but i thouht what the hey. as thetopic gives way, i am having problems with my rebooting. every time i go to restart:by pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL/ going to star-shutdown-restart, or anyother way of restarting your comp that u can imagine, it shutsdown, and when it starts to reboot, it hangs there with a blank screen.

To help, anyone who can help me, i have a K7t Pro2A mainboard with a Athlon i think its an 850mhz+. I've got it overclocked to 1000mhz, but that is not the problem.It is not a vid card or any card conflict, i think i might need to update the bios, but again am not sure for there can be a multitude of problems that can cause this. Please help!!!!!!!!

How long have you overclocked this machine? While you say that overclocking it is not the problem, overclocked machines always run hotter. While you may have compensated the airflow to the processor with a better fan, the condensors on the motherboard are also running at internal temperatures for which they were not rated. Overheating leads to timing problems.

If you overclocked by raising your frontside bus through the Bios - reduce it to the default. Then, see if it will reboot. My guess is that you tried this already and it hasn't worked. Sometimes letting it sit for a while (a day or so) will allow you to boot successfully and if it is a capacitor or other component on the motherboard, the problem will return. Then, you know that it is time for a motherboard "transplant".

I dont think the problems lyes with how long it has been overclocked, because i only got it a month ago. I have already tried to set it to default, but that doesnt work either...Well, this is a pretty old mainboard...maybe i do need a new one.

Thnx anyways

Are you using any USB devices? I've ran into some computers that had problems rebooting, due to having any USB connections.

A mate had a similar problem last week with the hanging. Does it completely stop? or if you wait a while, does it eventually boot? My mates was taking upto 15 mins. Eventually the problem was sorted by of all things, defragging the drive. Just a thought.

it stops completely. but defragging 500 gigs is no easy task. i'll give it a go though.

o...theefool, i disconnected them and still nothing, thnx though.

What OS is this? Do you have RAID? Are you using any virtual PCs? Do you have Nero? At what point does the OS hang?

The OS is Xp Pro Edition.No Raid No Virtual. I have nero, but that isnt the cause. It hangs right when it starts to reboot.