Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
-JJH-

Microsoft Sidewinder Wheel (without FF) + Windows XP

Hi!

I just updated my OS from old Win98 to Win XP professional, now I just found out that my USB version of the Sidewinder Steering wheel software does not work properly.

Here is the problem description: the wheel works just fine...I can accelerate and brake and even steer properly in Need for Speed Underground 2. BUT...if I want to play more realistic driving games, where I need the brake pedal and gas pedal to be on separete axis...that's when the problem comes in. Back in Windows 98, it was easy to choose, using the Sidewinder controller software, whether to use separate (gas pedal X-axis, brake pedal Z-rotational axis) or combined (gas pedal and brake pedal both on X-axis) mode.

Is there anyway, to get these modes in Windows XP? I tried to install Controller Software 4.0 but still...there was no option to choose modes frown Is there any workaround?

regards,

-JJH-

Originally posted by -JJH-:

Quote:
Hi!

I just updated my OS from old Win98 to Win XP professional, now I just found out that my USB version of the Sidewinder Steering wheel software does not work properly.

Here is the problem description: the wheel works just fine...I can accelerate and brake and even steer properly in Need for Speed Underground 2. BUT...if I want to play more realistic driving games, where I need the brake pedal and gas pedal to be on separete axis...that's when the problem comes in. Back in Windows 98, it was easy to choose, using the Sidewinder controller software, whether to use separate (gas pedal X-axis, brake pedal Z-rotational axis) or combined (gas pedal and brake pedal both on X-axis) mode.

Is there anyway, to get these modes in Windows XP? I tried to install Controller Software 4.0 but still...there was no option to choose modes frown Is there any workaround?

regards,

-JJH-

Hi i have the same problem i have had the wheel since they came out as soon as i installed xp it happend. have you found a soloution yet, i think its bang out of order microsoft doing this as the wheel is still the best around now

many thanks

yo748

Hey,

I have the same problem. Is there any solution so far?

Thanks in advance.

For those of you having brake pedal problems with the Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback steering wheel I found a work around.

In many of the newer games your pedals are required to work on seperate axis, most steering wheel manufactures have kept up with this demand and have compensated and made the proper adjustments in later driver versions. Unfortunately those of us who bought the Microsoft Sidewinder are out of luck because Microsoft hardware division no longer exists and they no longer support those products. It is possible to set a separate axis with the older v4.0 drivers designed for windows 98, however "the z rotation" can not be configured properly under Windows XP. So the pedal always acts like it's pressed half way down.

Here's what i did to make my Sidewinder work with Need For Speed Most Wanted and it also worked with Midtown Madness 2 in windows xp pro. The best part is it's not all that hard to do, well it's kind of a pain, but it definately beats spending another two hundred buck on a new wheel.

Skip steps 2 through 5 if you've always been running windows xp (meaning you didn't upgrade from 98 or me)and if you have never installed the v4.0 drivers for windows 98.

1. Unplug all usb game controllers from your machine

2. Go to control panel then add and remove programs

3. Unistall windows 98 v4.0 drivers and software for Sidewinder

4. Reboot

5. Plug Sidewinder back in

6. Reinstall standard XP drivers for Sidewinder (These are the drivers that load by default with xp when you plug the controller in). If the original xp drivers aren't automatically loading and your still getting the old 98 drivers, go to the device manager and update the drivers there manually. To find out which driver you have right click on My Computer Icon go to properties, choose the hardware tab then click on device manager, find Human Interface Devices, double click, then right click on sidewinder go to properties then click on Driver tab. Your driver date should be for 7/1/2001 and the version should be 5.1.2600.0. Once you have the drivers straight move on to step six.

6. Go to this address below and scroll to the bottom of the page and download this nifty little app. (it is just an executable file in zip format so create a folder then unzip this file to that folder and your ready to go.) This program will allow you to assign a keyboard function to the y axis up and y axis down on your pedals, therefor separating commands without really separating the axis. http://www.electracode.com/4/joy2key/JoyToKey%20English%20Version.htm

7. Click on your freshly extracted file, JoyToKey.exe

8. Click on Auto setting wizard, when it asks joystick left obivously turn the wheel left, vice versa for the right. (This is the important part) When it asks for joystick up press the gas pedal and when it asks for down press the brake. I went ahead and gave the other eight buttons different assignments too. The only thing you really need to map are the pedals.

9. Leave the app open and start your game. I'm using Need For Speed Most Wanted as an example but it should work with other games as well, I'm two for two on testing games that require duel axis pedals.

10.In the game go to options, controls, then go to keyboard controls, remap the keyboard controls using your steering wheel. I.E. when you click on the brakes in keyboard controls step on the brake it should map it as the down key. I couldn't find anybody else out there who managed to resolve this problem so I hope this helps somebody out there somewhere.

This worked for me, i still get force feed back as well, hope it works for you too.

Peace Yall

Update to the last post.

After further testing I've managed to clear up a couple bugs. If the keyboard emulator is not mapping your steering wheel automatically. Check under the keyboard heading in the app, if it says disabled down the line you have to set the key function manually. Do this by double clicking on the function you wish to map (Down) then you will see three boxes in the left side of the window, click on the first one then press the down key, click ok, make sure under the buttons heading the down option is still highlighted, it should be since you just maped the down key, then click Auto Setting Wizard. Step on the brake pedal choose exit and you are good to go.

IMPORTANT! If you're playing need for speed most wanted the only key you need to map is the down key corrisponding with the brake pedal. After further testing it is not suggested to map either x axis or the up y axis. The reason is because you will lose the touch sensitive option so if you barely hit the gas its floored and it makes the steering overly sensitive. So yes this means when you barely hit the brake pedal just a little its like stomping on the brakes all the way. I've been playing with it for a couple of days and it has turned out to be more of an advantage than a problem. I haven't taken a lot of time to mess with this app yet but I'm sure with some fiddle factor I'll figure out how to adjust this, I'll keep you guys posted if ever get around to messing with it, I'm just excited to have my brakes back down on the floor again, I haven't stopped playing since my last post. If anyone else figures it out please share. Oh yeah and sorry about the two step sixes. Post back yall, let me know if it works for you, I'd like to get some feedback.

Peace.