Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Devin

Nividia and win2k

ok, after reading all these posts on how "win2k rocks" and "I think its even faster then 98!" posts that I've seen...I went ahead and made the jump. I did a clean install, installed all the drivers, and all seem to work well except for ALL my fav games...q1, q2, and q3. Im running a CL geforce ddr and whenever I start up a game, my system simply restarts itself. I cant seem to get into ANY of them leading me to think it has something to do with my geforce? anyone else having probs like this? if so were you able to fix it?

1. Did you update win2000?

2. Did you upgrade to the latest drivers?

(3.78 detonator)

3. Did you patch all of your games?

4. Did you update the motherboard bios?

5. Use the search button? (thats for you Awx) it may give you clues as to finding the answer

------------------

When the world comes to a halt, Hold The F*** ON!!!

I've downloaded all of the newest win2k patches using the windows update program. I've also installed all game patches, updated my bios to the newest one on asus home page and tried both the detonator 3.78 drivers and the CL win2k drivers =\

Still no luck =[ it continues to restart itself right before the game launches

Go to Control Panel, System, Advanced, Startup & Recovery

In the System Failure section unselect the Automatically Reboot option.

Now try running the games again, and tell us what the error is...

------------------

SuperMicro P6DBS (dual UW-SCSI) BIOS 2.2, 2*Celery 300a @ 450Mhz, 384MB PC100 RAM

SCSI-A=4.3Gb+9Gb, SCSI-B=Tosh32x CD-ROM, Yamaha4416 CD-RW, Iomega ZIP100, IDE1=4.3Gb

IBM EtherJet 10/100 NIC PCI + Nortel ADSL "modem"

Matrox G400 DH 32Mb AGP + Quantum3D Voodoo2 SLI PCI (CL TNT1 AGP on a shelf)

SoundBlaster Live PCI (not Value)

Win2K build 2195 Retail (not 120-day eval)

forgot one more question..

6. Are you Overclocking? if so try not...

Also do a search on "Geoforce Rebooting". I came up with some interesting info.

do what YuppieScum said, it worked for me whenever I tried to open certain folders on my friends Win2k machine.

Here's the error:

---------------------------------------------

*** Stop: 0x0000001E (0xC0000005, 0xBC745C32, 0x00000000, 0x00001044)

KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

***Address BC745C32 Base at BC71D000, DateStamp 38a8b86a - nv4_disp.dll

Beginning dump pf physical memory

Physical memory dump complete. Contact your system administrator or technical support group

---------------------------------------------

Thats the whole message that comes up. I'm not sure what to do. I've updated my bios, tried both the detanator and the CL win2k drivers, updated the games but I keep getting this error.

Same problem here, same freaking error message as well. What motherboard you have (chipset) and CPU? I have an Alladin V and a K6-2 with a TNT2 (non-ultra). Here's what you can do:

1 - Try the Nvidia detonators from the lowest build up (3.6x - 3.7x). I'm saying this because only 3.66 worked for me smile

2 - Try the generic drivers at www.joytech.com, they work for me now and I have AGP support as well checked.

Tell us how it goes...

Im running a k6-2 400 on a asus p5a mobo with 128 pc-100. I'm going to try the 3.66 drivers and disabling agp that palos and yuppie suggested. A follow up will be here soon.

I added more memory to my system to bring it up to 256meg.... the game crashing i had been experiencing with 128 meg has stopped and the 3.78 drivers are actually pretty stable now...

to see if the extra memory made the difference I took it out and all the problems returned....

My 2 cents....

what's the minimum memory requirement for win2k anyway? I know what it says on the box but want to know what you guys think

I would say 192 MB would be enough...i have 128 right now, with an average of 60 MB free. Some applications LOVE not to release the memory soon after they close down (Netscape is a good example) so i have to kill the task manually...