Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jonny

voodoo3 drivers.....

Dont get me wrong I am not complaining...this is not meant to be a flame. I for one was not complaining when the drivers werent out yet. I was telling everyone to be happy with the betas and hacked ones until 3dfx released the official ones which would be sometime around the 17th. Ok they are here now. And I do have a problem with them. They are slow. Win2k is a great os and is capable of alot better. I want some drivers that rock. I waited patiently and it seems like they just through some betas at me and said here shut up. I really hope they plan on making better drivers. Hopefully with smp support. I just hope they update them. 3500 users have to wait 2 months! What are they doing? Developing v4 v5's? I for one choose not to buy from a company that doesnt support there current products. Its just kindof ****ty that Im probobly going to have to boot a win98 machine so I can get better performance. Which I am not going to do. I need to buy another card. Im a little bitter at 3dfx so guess it wont be from them. Even if the v5's are the fastest p.o.s there is.

jonny - I am getting very similar performance with my 3000 as I got in Win98 in Win2k pro using the new drivers. Prior to having reinstalled win2k pro I was getting poor performance with these new drivers but there must have been some remnants of old drivers left over. Frankly, I am expecting a 5-10% performance hit right now in gaming and can live with that in exchange for the stability, etc... of win2k.

BTW - I have a PIII-500 & 128mb pc100 and a bunch of other stuff :-)

------------------

Shrink

92% of the things we worry about don't happen - but the other 8% DO!

Yeah shrink your right. The speeds are "liv-able". But screw that. Im not going for substandard. Why am I unhappy right now? Because they didnt make **** kickass and thats what I expect. I want the best. Or at least something decent. These drivers are not decent. They are "liv-able"

A test was done on quake3 recent with a tnt on win98 and then win2k and the tnt was about 7 frames faster in win2k. The same test was performed with a voodoo3 and the win2k retail drivers. win98 was about 12 frames faster than win2k. With the same machine of course. I havent performed a test myself but I know I used to get better then 35.1fps which is what I get now with the sucker fully tweaked out for maxium fps. If you wanna check out the thread at 3dfxgamers win2k vs win98 in q3a here it is.

http://www.3dfxgamers.com/boards.asp?BOID=11&THID=30774&boardsort=lastpost&boardpage=141

Yeah forgot the voodoo2 users. They should have smokin' drivers too. No excuse.

Man only 35fps for q3 when tweaked for fps?......mine is tweaked for a balance of fps vs image quality and I get around 38-40 in 1024x768.

Not only that Motocross Madness is running the smoothest I've ever played it now with the new drivers.

[This message has been edited by Seldzar (edited 23 February 2000).]