Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
parx86

Mandriva install problem with Radeon 8500

I'm trying to install Mandriva Limited Edition 2005 DVD on my system as a dual boot with Windows, and I keep running into a problem with my graphics card. The install goes fine all the way up to where I configure my devices, and all of them are found automatically except my video card. I have an ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon 8500DV, and when I choose the Radeon driver and monitor, I choose test display, and it brings up color bars properly, looks good, then I click ok, and the screen goes black and never takes me back to the install. I've tried using the Xinerama option, configuring only the card option, choosing the radeon and radeon 8500 driver choices, but it does the same thing every time. I'm new to Linux and this is my first install, so if anyone knows how I can get around this I'd greatly appreciate it. In case it's needed, my system is:

Asus P4T with P4 1.7 GHz

512 Mb RDRAM

ATI AIW Radeon 8500DV

Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum Ex

Thanks everyone smile

Mandrake (Mandriva) does not list this card as compatible with the Limited Edition version or Mandrake 10.1. Are you a Mandrake Club member, or were you able to download the dvd iso image from somewhere? If you were able to download it as a non-club member, could you provide the link?

When you burned the disk (assuming that you did), what speed did you burn the image at?

Hello parx86,

I am a Mandriva club member & I have a Radeon 9800pro

I had the same issue with the pre release.

I found that issue to be a glitch in the test portion of setting up the graphics.

My system worked fine if I skipped the test portion & proceeded

with the rest of the install.

Good luck

Well, that's interesting. parx86, give it a try and let us know if it works.

Thanks for the replies

I tried pfour's advice on just skipping the test during install and continuing on, and it seemed to work fine. I haven't been able to test dual monitors or TV capability yet, but I'm at a working desktop. I may be back later on with those issues smile

Thanks for the help guys

I am also running Mandriva Limited Edition 2005 with KDE 3.4.2 and i too am using an ATI AIW 8500DV video cardi had no problems installing Mandriva with this card but i can't download drivers for it i tried gatos and urpmi but when i install them it destroys my build and i have to rerun my dvd (I lose graphical desktop control completly) can anyone help me with this issue?

Thx