Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
susanamart

USB devices not recognized

I need some help.

I was working in my computer with a Portable Hard disk connected to a USB port. Needing to get some photos from my digital camera, I pluged it to another USB port, copied the files and unpluged the camera. From that time on, the computer does not recognize any device I plug to the USB's, except the camera.

I've already tried:

- plug those devices in another computer and confirm that they function

- restarted the computer

- Unistall all the USB ports and let XP reinstall it

- do the system restore from XP

- reinstall (upgrade) windows XP

Does anyone know why does this happen and how can I solve it?

Originally posted by theefool:

Quote:
What sp (service pack?) do you have?

There was a bug where Windows XP would suspend and thus stop polling USB ports for new devices. Here's the KB Article about it.

This was fixed in Service Pack 1.

Well, If you have windows xp it might be the fact that you dont have service pack 1, when i got my new abit kv8 pro

It said i could not install the USB 2.0 Drivers For some reason, I looked into it and apparently you need to have Microsoft "Service Pack 1" From windows update, Very common, I had the same problem, except i didn't have a camera, it was my mouse. but i had a printer and a saitek playstation like controller that were usb and ... not working.

After i restarted the computer after installing sp1.. All the lights were on my controller and printer... Success (At least for me) I'm not sure if this will work for you but its worth a shot , If you already have service pack 1, I'm not sure what i can tell you then, But I'm just letting you know what my problem was and how I fixed it Hoping to give you some guidance through your computer troubles.