Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ajpriest

XP p2p network permissions

Hi,

Can anyone reliably inform me of the following:

I have an XP network, an XP Pro machine is dedicated as the server (this is basically where the shared files and folders are located, it does no other server functions), the share permissions are for all users full control.

Users on other XP machines are able to browse the folders and use the files which is understandable.

There is one user who needs to have access restricted to a single folder on the drive. This is the problem, can anyone advise please how to do this?

Regards,

AJ

Well, create a group that has everyone but this one individual in it. Have this group have access to all the different folders. But, on the one particular folder, grant access to this individual.

I think it would be easier to create a restricted group, and make this member its only user. Give the group access to the desired folder...and you've also made it easier to assign/remove future access for this limited group to folders, files, etc.

Simply another way of accomplishing the task, neither better or worse than the previous wink Just...different. My preference is to manage groups as opposed to users. However, ask 10 net admins the same question...you'll probably get 15 different opinions wink

Happy Computing!